Ford Legal Department - Trademark issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndragon

This post was made to a Mustang forum - http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=42402
Members of this forum are trying to publish a calendar with pictures of their personal vehicles and the Ford legal department is blocking them saying it is an infringement of Ford's copyright and trademark protection.
What do you all think about this?

"I got some more info from the folks at cafepress and according to them, a law firm representing Ford contacted them saying that our calendar pics (and our club's event logos - anything with one of our cars in it) infringes on Ford's trademarks which include the use of images of THEIR vehicles. Also, Ford claims that all the images, logos and designs OUR graphics team made for the BMC events using Danni are theirs as well. Funny, I thought Danni's title had my name on it ... and I thought you guys owned your cars ... and, well ... I'm not even going to get into how wrong and unfair I feel this whole thing is as I'd be typing for hours, but I wholeheartedly echo everything you guys have been saying all afternoon. I'm not letting this go un-addressed and I'll keep you guys posted as I get to work on this.

I'm sorry, but at this point we will not be producing the 2008 BMC Calendar, featuring our 2007 Members of the Month, solely due to Ford Motor Company's claim that THEY own all rights to the photos YOU take of YOUR car. I hope to resolve this soon, and be able to provide the calendar and other BMC merchandise that you guys want and deserve! This thread will remain open for you to comment however you wish, and I'll update it as needed.

Thanks for all your support of the BMC!!"

-Nick

Q: Members of this forum are trying to publish a calendar with pictures of their personal vehicles and the Ford legal department is blocking them saying it is an infringement of Ford's copyright and trademark protection. What do you all think about this?

A: I think Ford has more money for lawyers than you do.

lol, very true. But do you think this is the kind of publicity Ford needs right now. The big bad bully pushing around the little guy?

-Nick

Hello everyone I am new here and was wondering how does Ford have the rights to do what they are doing? A lot of the cars in the pictures have aftermarket parts like wheels and hoods and paint jobs. Since they are different from what ford did from the factory then shouldn't they (ford) be out of line?

In addition to the above post, I thought that one a picture is taken of something, that image is the intellectual property of the photographer.

-Nick

I agree also NIck so x2, if Ford wanted money from the place to do the licensing then should all of the people who made the aftermarket parts want a piece of the licensing also. example If you have a Mustang Gt, but you have a Saleen hood. You would have to get permission from Saleen and Ford?

Hello everyone I am new here and was wondering how does Ford have the rights to do what they are doing? A lot of the cars in the pictures have aftermarket parts like wheels and hoods and paint jobs. Since they are different from what ford did from the factory then shouldn't they (ford) be out of line?

Has someone wrote Ford, and asked them to produce a copy of what ever it is they are shielding themselves with? I'm sure if someone were to ask, they would provide it for you.

This does seem petty of Ford. What if you video record these cars? Is that an infringment as well? What if someone comes along with a camera, who doesn't own the car, and takes pictures?

Right or wrong of Ford, in the end, Seniorjudge summed it up:

A: I think Ford has more money for lawyers than you do.

I do agree that ford has more money and lots more spare time then I do. And yes its very petty with stocks at an all time low and everything for them to try and make people mad, but whatever. Is it right or wrong was all I was wanting to know. If ford gets a cut then shouldn't every manufacturer... Or there should be a disclaimer when you buy a car or product.:yes:

"Has someone wrote Ford, and asked them to produce a copy of what ever it is they are shielding themselves with?" Confused ? shielding themselves with?

Its resloved now and as far as I.know they are going to make the calander I am using my pda to post this but I will post the link later. A small victory for the little guy with less money and spare time :)

Its resloved now and as far as I.know they are going to make the calander I am using my pda to post this but I will post the link later. A small victory for the little guy with less money and spare time :)

Cool. I was confused at to what Ford was doing, that just isn't good business.

T tops, you are so right:

A small victory for the little guy with less money and spare time

Can't never tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back