Forced direct deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil1481

Can my company, who has just switched to a paperless direct deposit system, force me, (one of only a few people who still get a hard check) to get a direct deposit account?

If they do say i am required to go to a direct deposit account, is there anything i can do to stop that.

Whether or not you can be mandated to have your check direct deposited is a matter of state law, and also whether you are a public or private employee.

What state are you in, and do you work for the state, the town, the Federal government, or any other position where you are paid in full or in part with taxpayer dollars? It makes a difference in some states.

Okay, as long as taxpayer dollars are not involved, it's considered private for this purpose no matter how it's traded.

According to my information, RI does not permit mandatory direct deposit. My information is several years old, so check with the state DOL before addressing the situation with your employer.

If you should be forced into this, be sure to read the deposit authorization closely. Many authorize both deposits AND withdrawals. The withdrawals are limited to vaguely described terms involving perceived error. More than one of the employees in my department have had a negative check due to what an individual in payroll "perceived" to have been the fix to an error. Funds were withdrawn from accounts. When they enacted mandatory DD, I refused and entered my resignation based on the withdrawal clause. They then made an exception for me. You might have to try something along those lines.

no paper pay stub

I work in ohio and the private company (WMT) I work for is going paperless. The only way to see my paycheck is if I receve a text message on my phone. Wich has a fee attached to it, or go online. I dont have internet access at home. This is unfair and seems illeagle to me. Is it? Can I make them reimberse me for internet or fees from my cell phone? I have direct deposit but want to make sure all is right with my pay and benifits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back