Following too closely

GaDawg85

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I was cited for following too closely last Friday after rear-ending a Ford Escape. I was in medium to heavy traffic and everyone suddenly hit their brakes. My guard was down and my reaction time was just not there. Long story short, I'm completely responsible and I know that. In the past, you could just pay the fine online and move on with your life. Apparently, as of last week, there is a new GA law that requires all "following too closely" citations to appear in court. I've looked up the fine amount which is a little over $300 and now that court is required, I'm sure there will be more fees to go with it. My question is what would happen if I plead nolo as opposed to guilty? Does pleading nolo erase the fine and keep points off my license? A coworker of mine says he was cited for following too close after rear-ending someone in the rain, pleaded nolo and he didn't have to pay his fine. Although, he was in Fulton county and I was in Dekalb county. I just want to do the right thing but if I can save some money on this deal that would be amazing. Any answers I can get regarding this matter are much appreciated.

Last edited:
I was cited for following too closely last Friday after rear-ending a Ford Escape. I was in medium to heavy traffic and everyone suddenly hit their brakes. My guard was down and my reaction time was just not there. Long story short, I'm completely responsible and I know that. In the past, you could just pay the fine online and move on with your life. Apparently, as of last week, there is a new GA law that requires all "following too closely" citations to appear in court. I've looked up the fine amount which is a little over $300 and now that court is required, I'm sure there will be more fees to go with it. My question is what would happen if I plead nolo as opposed to guilty? Does pleading nolo erase the fine and keep points off my license? A coworker of mine says he was cited for following too close after rear-ending someone in the rain, pleaded nolo and he didn't have to pay his fine. Although, he was in Fulton county and I was in Dekalb county. I just want to do the right thing but if I can save some money on this deal that would be amazing. Any answers I can get regarding this matter are much appreciated.

A "nolo" plea amounts to the same thing as a guilty plea.

People plead "nolo" in criminal or traffic court matters in a feeble attempt to reduce their potential liability if a civil trial follows the conclusion of the criminal or traffic court matter.

You are free to cop a "nolo", if the court allows it (most likely the court does).
Whether you plead guilty, "nolo", or contest the case and go to trial, ultimately being convicted; the outcome will be the same.

You'll have fines, fees, and costs to the state you'll be assessed.
Your insurance rates will no doubt increase, either way.

The "nolo" plea has no effect on fines, costs, fees, punishments, or what effect such a charge will have on your driving record.

If its available to you, investigate :traffic school", DEFERRED ADJUDICATION, or ADJOURNMENT in CONTEMPLATION of DISMISSAL.

You can aske the prosecutor if such options are available to you,

The DA or ACOD plea will allow you to serve a 60-90 day probation (in many states), get no citations, the case is dismissed.
The state will still demand to be paid, but your record won't be affected, neither will your insurance rates increase.

Back