Florida Vacant Lot Liability

Guitar28

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello,

If I recently purchased a vacant lot in Florida with intent to build a new home, would I need to post "no trespassing" signs to shield myself from liability if someone were to wander onto the property and injure themselves? Florida appears to have strong anti-trespassing laws but there seems to be a void if there is no "notice" such as a house, fence, etc like a vacant lot where one would not be tresspassing if there is no sign posted, and an injury would leave the property owner liable. Would survey stakes provide notice? I find it odd that someone can wander onto my property uninvited, slip and fall, and I be held liable, even if there was no posting. Please advise.

Thank you!

would I need to post "no trespassing" signs to shield myself from liability if someone were to wander onto the property and injure themselves?

Without thinking about it too hard, I can't think of any reason why a "no trespassing" sign would have any bearing on your potential liability for what you described. The best way to protect yourself against liability would be to carry adequate insurance coverage.

there seems to be a void if there is no "notice" such as a house, fence, etc like a vacant lot where one would not be tresspassing if there is no sign posted, and an injury would leave the property owner liable.

Huh? What exactly is it that you're reading that leads you to the conclusion that the lack of a sign might result in liability?

I find it odd that someone can wander onto my property uninvited, slip and fall, and I be held liable, even if there was no posting.

That would, indeed, be odd, which is why it's not how the law works.

Please advise.

I answered your question yesterday on another site by pointing out that nothing prevents a lawsuit and that homeowners and renters liability coverage extends to vacant land and that personal liability insurance was available at reasonable cost if you did not have homeowners or renters insurance.

Back