Florida probate procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

momjd

My mother passed away in February 2005 with only a Florida residence as probate property, with her six children as beneficiaries. We were told by our Florida attorney that he could probate her NY will in Florida with a summary administration for a $1500 fee. After paying, the filing was bounced because my mother's home was not homesteaded and exceeded the summary administration limits. The filing has stalled, and now the attorney wants $4500 for a formal administration. I have just recently passed the Florida bar examination and am waiting to be admitted. I have three questions. #1: Any problems with waiting to be admitted so I can handle the administration. #2: We received a Notice of Failure to Close and Notice of Hearing stating that unless we show cause in 2 weeks the matter will be dismissed (I will not be able to attend the hearing in 2 weeks as I will be out of the state). What does this mean? The clerk at the court would not give me any information, telling me simply to consult an attorney. #3: Assuming that the dismissal only means we have to start over and pay a new filing fee, are there any ramifications for waiting until the 2 year anniversary of my mother's death so the probate can be handled under a summary administration? There are no creditors nor any challenges to the will. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back