1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Florida Baker Act

Discussion in 'Guns, Firearms & Weapons' started by Mitch Hull, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Mitch Hull

Mitch Hull Law Topic Starter New Member

Does being held on a 72-hour Baker Act with no priors effect your ability to purchase a firearm.

2. mightymoose

mightymoose Well-Known Member

Most likely, yes. It may not prevent a purchase, but would certainly slow things down for a closer look at the circumstances and the outcome.

3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

The Baker Act in and of itself does not prohibit you from purchasing a firearm.

ThebBaker Act allows authorities to have someone taken in for observation to determine if the person is a danger to themselves or others.

It's not automatically a bar to purchase firearms. Some people try use it on their spouses to get even if they are fighting.

If the person is determined to be mentally incompetent or is committed to a mental facility, then you will have issues.

Here's what your FDLE says about The Baker Act and firearms purchase:

http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/samh/MentalHealth/laws/HB1355-Saleanddeliveryoffirearms.pdf

4. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known Member

That tinfoil hat you should be wearing will shield you from the effects of the Baker Act.

hrforme likes this.
  5. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

I know two wonderful, real bakers in my area, nice people.

I'm a reserve deputy sheriff and serve a couple of nights when I can.

One of the bakers owns a local Dunkin Donuts, and always offers us hot donuts and coffee.

The other guy works at a local donut shop.

Both fellas always offer us hot donuts and coffee when we're shaking locks in some little country Texas town in the county.

Bakers have always been cool....