FLMA AND BIPOLAR

Cayt Kelly

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Hello,

I was diagnosed Bipolar 1 about two years ago. I am currently on FMLA for this (not working any OT and am allowed one episode once a month. This past time with my psychiatrist, my meds are not working as they should. Today at work, I had an incident at work ( I IM'd something not nice and accidentally sent it to that person) and now I am about to get fired. My question is: since I am on FMLA with the Bipolar and my meds aren't working, do I have any rights at this time?
Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Cayt K

Of course you have rights. Everyone has rights. Whether you can avoid getting legally fired because of what you did isn't something anyone here can determine.

Being on FMLA protects you from being fired because you took FMLA. It does not protect you from being fired for something that is unrelated to the FMLA. If someone who never took FMLA can be fired for it, you can be fired for it.

Today at work, I had an incident at work ( I IM'd something not nice and accidentally sent it to that person) and now I am about to get fired.

Have you contacted your psychiatrist?

If not, you might wish to visit him / her tomorrow.

Good luck.

You have no right to have psychotic episodes that interfere with your ability to get the job down (or your interfere with the business). Nothing in FMLA or ADA requires an employer to tolerate that. As pointed out FMLA requires them to return you to work (in a comparable position) after a covered absence, nothing else.

Back