first time visiting condo: will i be given a key?

Falcon33033

So sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. But i need to be sure.

I am a co-owner of a condo but i have not visited it yet.

I plan to visit without my co-owner's knowledge.

My question is, will i be given a key if i show appropriate identification as well as the documents proving i am a co-owner? Or will they be wary of an unfamiliar face?

More specifically, are they legally obligated to give me a key/access?

who is "they"? Not all condos have a property management office on site.

if you are co-owner why do you not already have a key? were the locks changed?

i agree with asking "they" what "they" need to do to let you have access. "they" might not be willing to do so without the other co-owner's knowledge.

So sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. But i need to be sure.

I am a co-owner of a condo but i have not visited it yet.

My question is, will i be given a key if i show appropriate identification as well as the documents proving i am a co-owner? Or will they be wary of an unfamiliar face?

What U.S. State?

Why be sneaky about it?

will i be given a key if i show appropriate identification as well as the documents proving i am a co-owner?

That would be entirely up to the condo's management people and there is no way to predict the outcome.

No. Not a bit.

Buyers get keys to property they buy when they buy it. How is it that you don't already have one? Is this a situation where you and another heir inherited the property that the other heir is living in it? Something else?

What U.S. State?

IP address is California.

if you are co-owner why do you not already have a key? were the locks changed?

Because the property is in another country and i am just about to visit it in a few weeks.

I was never physically present at the site; i just signed a paper stating i was one of the Buyers.

Last edited:
Buyers get keys to property they buy when they buy it. How is it that you don't already have one? Is this a situation where you and another heir inherited the property that the other heir is living in it? Something else?

No, it is not an inheritance. I have a suspicion that my co-owner is letting someone live there without my knowledge. He has lied to me in the past repeatedly and so this is why i want to make a surprise visit to the property.

Which brings up my next question: can management simply allow a guest of one co-owner to live there without the other co-owner's knowledge? Does that violate some law? Or is it entirely dependent on the rules of the condo?

Because the property is in another country

This site is just for US law.

i am just about to visit it in a few weeks.

I hope you have other reasons for the trip besides just the condo.

I have a suspicion that my co-owner is letting someone live there without my knowledge.

He's an owner as much as you are. I don't see why he has to ask your permission to do anything, especially since he lives there and you live in another country.

How did this co-owner arrangement come about?

can management simply allow a guest of one co-owner to live there without the other co-owner's knowledge?

Yes.

Does that violate some law?

Probably not.

Or is it entirely dependent on the rules of the condo?

I suspect that the condo rules don't even address that one way or the other.

This is between you and your co-owner. The condo management has nothing to do with it.

Oooh, you're such a clever one, mate.

My question is, will i be given a key if i show appropriate identification as well as the documents proving i am a co-owner?

Who knows what will happen in some UNNAMED country?

Who?

Why the "secret police" could be called in some countries and you could be arrested as an American SPY.

It is ALWAYS prudent to OBEY the laws of the nation you visit as an American.

It is NEVER smart to behave as a brutish, disrespectful American bully or thug when visiting foreign nations, especially if you hold dual (or once held) that nation's citizenship!!!

If you attempt your little scouting expedition, and are allowed to return to the USA, let us know mate.

I'm certain everyone is holding her/his breath in anticipation of your breaking news from the "front".

It is ALWAYS prudent to OBEY the laws of the nation you visit as an American.

It is NEVER smart to behave as a brutish, disrespectful American bully or thug when visiting foreign nations, especially if you hold dual (or once held) that nation's citizenship!!!

Of course. I don't know what i said to imply that i will behave in a brutish manner. I'm always polite and respectful towards everyone.

And thank you @adjusterjack , your input was most helpful.

Last edited:

These are not legal questions, and it's unclear who "they" are or why "they" might have a key to your condo. Why didn't you get a key at the time of closing?

are they legally obligated to give me a key/access?

Depends on who "they" are and the terms of any contracts you have with "them" (and possibly also the laws of the unidentified state or country where the condo is located).

the property is in another country

Would that other country by the U.S.? If so, which state? If not, then no one here is going to have the slightest idea about any of this.

can management simply allow a guest of one co-owner to live there without the other co-owner's knowledge?

Can it happen? Of course it can. Is it legal? That depends on what "management" refers to. However, unless there's a rule that regulates who lives in the condo, it's no one's business but the owners who lives there.

Does that violate some law?

Since you haven't told us where the condo is located (despite having been prompted to do so), I'm not sure how you could possibly expect us to know.

Back