First time renter with questions

Robert McGee

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
In September of '21 my now ex and I moved into a home owned by an also now ex coworkers wife. Only real issues that ever came up was just being able to get a hold of her whenever it was needed like the dishwasher going out or when we had the ac checked out to see why it wasn't working even close to what it should. Back in December my ex decided she didn't want to be in a relationship and that she was going to move out in 10 days so well less than a 30 notice to both myself as well as our landlord. Well as it turned out a cousin was looking for a place s9bi mentioned it to my ex and told her that if she came over and liked the house we would break down what rent and half the utilities had been for us each month so she would know what is expected of her to pay. She agreed and I told my ex that since she was the one leaving that it was on her to contact our landlord and make the proposal of my cousin staying and anything related to that nature was her responsibility. Fast forward to today and my cousin has paid $460 the whole time she's stayed, and yes I've learned my lesson on family and renting. My ex was instructed to create and have both her and my cousin sign an agreement that my cousin would take over full I financial responsibility from my ex. That was never done. It has always been a month to month agreement and back in April I informed the landlords husband that I would be moving out on June 10th. My half of the rent is 675 and that is what I have paid on top of selling personal item's and getting a loan and paying extra. I should have paid $4,050 the last 6 months but have actually paid $4,975. The full deposit is also in my name as my ex was between jobs when we moved in. We both had dogs when we moved in and mine is a service dog that is fully registered and certified to be one. A statement was made before moving in the deposit would be for the dogs and in the excitement of everything I forgot to inform her she's not able to do so with mine being a service dog. I know have the husband texting saying that i, as in just me, am nearing $3,000 in back rent. There's never been a rental agreement between them and us since my cousin moved in and it was never a joint contact but rather more a 2 party agreeing to pay their portion of the rent together and that's why my ex and I had separate primary bank accounts as well as a joint at the same bank to pay the rent and utilities from. There are some damages that are pretty normal for having dogs and wouldn't amount to a whole lot to fix and am considering doing them myself anyways. At the end of all this my real question would be am I responsible in any way possible for my cousins portion and if not am I able to recover any of my share of both what I have overpaid as well as my deposit with possibly any deductions for anything that isn't as was when we moved in. I just want to be able to protect myself as much as I can because I have done and fulfilled my portion since I moved in. I've had to block the husband as he really isn't a part of the whole thing and has both my ex and cousins contact info but refuses to do anything but contact me. I'm really trying to figure out just where it is I'm roughly standing. Thank you in advance for any information and insight's.

In September of '21 my now ex and I moved into a home owned by an also now ex coworkers wife. Only real issues that ever came up was just being able to get a hold of her whenever it was needed like the dishwasher going out or when we had the ac checked out to see why it wasn't working even close to what it should. Back in December my ex decided she didn't want to be in a relationship and that she was going to move out in 10 days so well less than a 30 notice to both myself as well as our landlord. Well as it turned out a cousin was looking for a place s9bi mentioned it to my ex and told her that if she came over and liked the house we would break down what rent and half the utilities had been for us each month so she would know what is expected of her to pay. She agreed and I told my ex that since she was the one leaving that it was on her to contact our landlord and make the proposal of my cousin staying and anything related to that nature was her responsibility. Fast forward to today and my cousin has paid $460 the whole time she's stayed, and yes I've learned my lesson on family and renting. My ex was instructed to create and have both her and my cousin sign an agreement that my cousin would take over full I financial responsibility from my ex. That was never done. It has always been a month to month agreement and back in April I informed the landlords husband that I would be moving out on June 10th. My half of the rent is 675 and that is what I have paid on top of selling personal item's and getting a loan and paying extra. I should have paid $4,050 the last 6 months but have actually paid $4,975. The full deposit is also in my name as my ex was between jobs when we moved in. We both had dogs when we moved in and mine is a service dog that is fully registered and certified to be one. A statement was made before moving in the deposit would be for the dogs and in the excitement of everything I forgot to inform her she's not able to do so with mine being a service dog. I know have the husband texting saying that i, as in just me, am nearing $3,000 in back rent. There's never been a rental agreement between them and us since my cousin moved in and it was never a joint contact but rather more a 2 party agreeing to pay their portion of the rent together and that's why my ex and I had separate primary bank accounts as well as a joint at the same bank to pay the rent and utilities from. There are some damages that are pretty normal for having dogs and wouldn't amount to a whole lot to fix and am considering doing them myself anyways. At the end of all this my real question would be am I responsible in any way possible for my cousins portion and if not am I able to recover any of my share of both what I have overpaid as well as my deposit with possibly any deductions for anything that isn't as was when we moved in. I just want to be able to protect myself as much as I can because I have done and fulfilled my portion since I moved in. I've had to block the husband as he really isn't a part of the whole thing and has both my ex and cousins contact info but refuses to do anything but contact me. I'm really trying to figure out just where it is I'm roughly standing. Thank you in advance for any information and insight's.
How old are you, Robert?

Did you sign a written lease? What type of lease do you have...month to month or yearly? .

I'm really trying to figure out just where it is I'm roughly standing.

Here are the cold, hard, facts of renting.

1 - Multiple tenants rent a dwelling. Unless a written contract says different, each is responsible for all the rent and all the damage if the other doesn't pay. The landlord doesn't care what arrangement you made with each other as long as he gets his money.

2 - The security deposit covers any damage that the tenants cause. Doesn't matter which tenant causes it. Doesn't matter if it was caused by a dog. Doesn't matter if the dog is a service animal.

3 - Unless you have a written contract with the landlord that limits your responsibility, you pay it all, to avoid getting sued, and then you go after your roommates for reimbursement.

4 - The landlord is not obliged to seek compensation from all tenants, he can go after the one with the deepest pockets.

Now you know where you stand, busted flat in Baton Rouge.

How old are you, Robert?

Did you sign a written lease? What type of lease do you have...month to month or yearly? .
37. There was between my ex and I but they never had one for us to sign once my cousin moved in. They said they had one and were bringing it by but never showed up with it. And yes its month to month or it was before the transition. She told my ex she was getting a new contract written up.

Here are the cold, hard, facts of renting.

1 - Multiple tenants rent a dwelling. Unless a written contract says different, each is responsible for all the rent and all the damage if the other doesn't pay. The landlord doesn't care what arrangement you made with each other as long as he gets his money.

2 - The security deposit covers any damage that the tenants cause. Doesn't matter which tenant causes it. Doesn't matter if it was caused by a dog. Doesn't matter if the dog is a service animal.

3 - Unless you have a written contract with the landlord that limits your responsibility, you pay it all, to avoid getting sued, and then you go after your roommates for reimbursement.

4 - The landlord is not obliged to seek compensation from all tenants, he can go after the one with the deepest pockets.

Now you know where you stand, busted flat in Baton Rouge.
Thank you. The original contract was written so each of us was split evenly between us the renters. That's how she drew it up without us even asking so I'm assuming the new contract that wasn't ever brought over to be signed was going to be the same with just a name change. While I didn't participate in that phone call other than to give some background about my cousin I could hear a great deal from the next room and the landlord told my ex that she would still liable if she didn't have any agreement's made. They both agreed that since it was her moving out that it was her obligation to make sure everything got squared away. Only Thing she did was bypass my pass code on my phone and delete the original contract as well as pictures we took when we moved in. Gotta take the ex to court anyways so maybe the landlord will want to join me in going lol. I very much appreciate the information.

Fibber McGee, would have been NOTHING without Molly McGee.

3000x3000_9953864.jpg

Let's NOT forget Molly.

Back