First Time Offense Petty Theft in California. What to expect in Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

missanna

I had been caught shoplifting $700 worth of clothing from (dept. store) in California. The store charged me a fine of $425 and I was also charged with a misdemeanor in petty theft and summoned for court appearance in two months. I was advised by the police officer who wrote the citation to ask for my records to be expunged, so it would not effect my chances of employment. I want to know what my choices are when it comes to fines, jail time, community service, classes, and clearing of records. I cannot afford an attorney, is it true I can get a court appointed attorney free of charge? Will that attorney be able to help reduce my fines or negotiate a plea bargain with community service, no jail time, and low fines?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you need an attorney to get you the best outcome possible. Plead not guilty in court. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one for you. The attorney will go over your options with you. You need to pay any fine you received.

I had been caught shoplifting $700 worth of clothing from (dept. store) in California. The store charged me a fine of $425 and I was also charged with a misdemeanor in petty theft and summoned for court appearance in two months. I was advised by the police officer who wrote the citation to ask for my records to be expunged, so it would not effect my chances of employment. I want to know what my choices are when it comes to fines, jail time, community service, classes, and clearing of records. I cannot afford an attorney, is it true I can get a court appointed attorney free of charge? Will that attorney be able to help reduce my fines or negotiate a plea bargain with community service, no jail time, and low fines?

The police officer gave you wise counsel, now I'll add a reality check.

This will affect your job prospects for many years.

Expungement is a possibility, but not a certainty, but takes time (often a decade or more).

That choice is going to cost you in ways yet untold.

You do require a lawyer, hire one, or ask the court to appoint you one.

But, that cop did his or her job, gave you sage advice, but a conviction is all but impossible to avoid.

(Just to clarify - the court also has guidelines concerning sentencing and qualifying for a PD. It used to be a mandatory guide, now it's simply a recommendation guide)

As stated there are qualifications for a PD. Depending on your income you could qualify or qualify for partial payment or free. You need to ask Judge for PD and following his instructions. When you meet with this Lawyer ask about ACD or diversion to protect your record, which is what Officer was referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back