Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft First offense petty theft while on probation in another county

tommyray

Jurisdiction
California
Im on probation in L.A. County.I haven't been in trouble in almost 3 yrs.I picked up a petty theft in stockton,california.It was worth 25 dollars i got caught stealing.I called and told my probation officer in L.A. and she said she doesn't want to deal with it that it is in another County so she is not going to violate me.So basically im going to deal with a first time petty theft.Can i avoid jail time and ask for a diversion program so i don't lose my job? It was a poor decision on my part,but i believe i learned.

You can ask for anything that crosses your mind.
Your state is deeply in debt.
Because of the bad economy, the debt, and prison over crowding; petty criminals tend to avoid a stay in the penal colonies.

Your PO has indicated she doesn't care.
So, be a good lad, STOP breaking their laws.
Your new case most likely will end in you being assessed fines, fees, and costs.
You might be ordered to take a "DON'T STEAL STUFF" class, community service, unsupervised probation, and the matter is concluded.
My guess is as wrong as yours.
Just keep your nose clean, don't miss any court sessions, it'll all be over.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. The state of CA economy has improved so I am uncertain if the above applies. However since you do have a record I doubt Diversion is on the table. You need to discuss this with your Attorney he/she is your best resource

Your best bet is to talk to an attorney & only to the attorney.

Im on probation in L.A. County.I haven't been in trouble in almost 3 yrs.I picked up a petty theft in stockton,california.It was worth 25 dollars i got caught stealing.I called and told my probation officer in L.A. and she said she doesn't want to deal with it that it is in another County so she is not going to violate me.

I bet she will when you get this conviction.

So basically im going to deal with a first time petty theft.

But not first time offense. The prosecutor will have the record of your previous offense and this is likely to be treated as a second offense.

i believe i learned.

Sure.

Back