Fired for no real good reason - was set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

chki

I was recently fired from my job. I had been there 2 years and I did a great job. I was overwhelmed with work and told my boss that I was bound to make mistakes if I didn't get any help. Things were constantly changing and I was constantly given more task to do. Both of my reviews were good. I was given bonuses for both years. I had a few minor errors that did not cost the company any money and were easily fixed...literally a change in a report, an overcharge on an invoice for a customer that I created an internal credit for. Seriously nothing major. I believe this was a personal situation. My boss was having an affair with the Plant Manager. She told me this about a six months into my job. She did not work in my location, but she would use me as an excuse "to come up to train me". She never trained me. She would come up to see the Plant Manager. When he found out that she told me he was very mad. He didn't want anyone to know about this situation, then all of a sudden things got bad for me....I got nitpicked on for every little thing, even though I was doing so many things without any error at all. I asked for help and was told not only am I not getting any help, but I needed to take over more accounts. I never argued, just did my best. We finally had a new hire and I, on top of all of my other work, had to train him. Recenlty I had 58 card (SmartCards - that's the business) on my desk. I was waiting for the Sales Rep to provide me with an address to send. I waited for a week, then I went to look for the cards which were paperclipped to a ziplock bag and then put in a plastic folder. The cards were gone. I was blamed for the cards being missing. How could I be responsble for someon taking the cards. I was never told to lock anything up. They were given to me knowing that I didn't have a secure office. I believe I was set up.

In the meantime, I also have another question as well. I was asked to drive down to Herndon Virginia a few weeks ago for some training (I live in PA). On my drive, I was caught in a hale storm which proceeded to cause five dents on my hoods and I also got a flat tire. The total cost of repair was $221 for tire and $331 for dent removal. Does my company have a responsibility to pay for the damage to my car on a business trip?

The company does not have to give you a reason for terminating your employment. It would only be illegal if you were terminated SOLELY because of Title VII-protected characteristic, such as your race, gender, religion, etc., OR because you availed yourself of a legal right, such as filed a Work comp claim, OR because you reported a suspected violation of law to the applicable regulatory authority. Anything other than that, you can be legally fired for. Which begs the question, why go through all that "set up" stuff, if they just legally could have said. "Mary, your services are no longer required--bye now."

Having said that, I'm assuming you have already filed for unemployment. Unless the employer decides to protest your claim AND can prove to the state's satisfaction that you definitely stole the cards, you will likely get benefits.

No, the employer is not responsible for damage to your car just because you were on a business trip. That's what you have insurance for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back