Fired, But Employer E-mailed All Staff That I Quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckymag

I was fired a couple of days ago from a job I had been at nearly a year. I was hired with a six-month probationary period. At the end of the six months I received a performance review, which concluded that I needed improvement in several areas. My boss elected to extend my probabtion by three months at that time and conduct another review at the end of that period. A couple of weeks later my boss, who conducted the review and extended the probation quit. She was replaced after approx. 1 month by a man with the title "Interim Director." At the end of my probationary extension period (which ended up being four months rather than three due to my direct supervisor quitting), I was told by the interim director that he had elected not to extend my probationary period based on the information in the first review (I never received a follow-up review as I was told I would at the end of the extension period). In addition to firing me from that position, he offered me another position in the company, but the same department I had been working in. It paid $6,000 a year less and involved different duties. I said that I was not interested in that position, and was told to turn in my key, get my belongings and was ushered out the door.

The following day, an ex-coworker contacted me and said that the interim director, had sent an e-mail to the entire organization stating that I had quit and had left the organzation effective immediately.

I'm wondering if I have any recourse due to the, in my opinion, slanderous e-mail. I did not quit, and if I were to, would give ample notice and not simply walk out. I feel that he has damaged my reputation and am hopeful that someone can give me advice as to whether or not I can take steps to remedy the situation. (I understand that my state, MN, is "at-will" and employees can be let go without reason, so I believe I can take no recourse in that area. I am concerned, however, about the false e-mail.) Thanks.

What in heaven's name is slanderous about saying you quit? How does that place you in a bad light? Would you rather they'd told everyone that you were fired for performance issues?

Your termination was perfectly legal and telling the staff that you quit rather than that you were fired is not slander and does not provide you with legal recourse. You clearly have very little idea what slander is.

How is this slander? Slander is basically ruining your reputation, and you have to suffer damages. What difference does it make if the email said you were fired or quit? Tell everyone you were fired if you want. I suggest you move on and find another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back