fired because of partial temp disability, but they said misconduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

jen414

I have worked for a coupld drs for the last 5 years. the beginning of this year i had a freak accident that pretty much ripped all my ligaments and tendons in my knee apart. before and after surgery i gave my office manager my dr excuse that said i would need off 12 to 16 weeks. during this time everytime i would see my surgeon he would update my excuse until the next visit. everytime i gave office manager copy. at my 10week post op, i took excuse to her for another 4 to 6 weeks...which would have equaled 16 weeks total. she was mad and said i was milking this. big mess!!!! a week later one of the drs i worked for called my surgeon and told him i needed to come back to work, what was the reason of me not coming back, that they would do whatever it took for me to come back to work. my surgeon disagreed and so did my physical therapist. my dr employer called back and said i was going to be fired so my surgeon gave in BUT it was part time basis with disability. due to me going back to work and them NOT helping me out my knee did get worse and on my actual 16 week appt, i had to have a injection, the injection did the opposite and my knee was imflammed and could not walk. by the end of the week it was in serious pain and inflammation. my ortho surgeon requested a week off to let the inflammation go down, at that time i was terminated from my job.
i have a written letter from my employer stating i was placed on part time partial disability april 09 and may 09 my surgeon requested medical leave as she was placed on temporary disability and it was at this time she was terminated.
i filed for unemployment after my dr released me a week later, i continued to file for it for the next 4-5 weeks. at this time i had to have another knee surgery that has me now disabled.
i recieved letter from unemployment stating that i was terminated for "MISCONDUCT". i have documents stating it was over my injury and i also have my conversations recorded making sure i was being fired and not that i had quit my job. i have appealed the denial, because even if i DONT get my pay, i do not want "MISCONDUCT" on my record. if i have the letter with them stating i was let go because of my disability, shouldnt that have been the reason?

also, my employer violated my privacy because this was NOT a workers comp, it was an accident on a weekend. yes my surgeon also violated hipaa for talking to my employer, but it was the dr to dr curtiousy call. the only problem now is this, IF my employer would not have called and my surgeon would not have released me for part time work and actually stuck to the original game plan of 12 to 16 weeks to heal then my 2nd knee surgery may have been prevented.

could i atleast win the appeal to have "MISCONDUCT" taken off my employment record?

contact eeoc

my employer did a similar thing and will clearly tell anyone that will listen, that they do not work with dr.'s, period. someone from my empoyer posted a slanderous post on 'rip off report' website stating that i was never disabled because my employer 'doesn't believe me'. if your state has a state disability office, contact them as well.

http://www.eeoc.gov/abouteeo/overview_practices.html

it truly makes you wonder about the 'decision' makers with these employers. if they hate the medical community so much, then take it out on them, not the employee

your former employer apparently wants this to go public, so make it as public as you possibly can.

Last edited:
i live in such a small area and every attorney i have contacted saids YES you have a case, BUT NO we will not touch it because its local Drs that have done this.
my biggest concern is that i now have "MISCONDUCT" on my employment record which if i am ever able to return to work, that makes other employers frown on. so i just want the "misconduct" removed and put the real reason! but im not sure that can even happen because NO one will just sit down and talk to me.
thank you for the reply!!!

ok, then send them a certified letter stating the facts and tell them that you want them to correct your files and to please respond within 15 days or whatever with the corrected copy.
they won't do it. i called, snail mailed and emailed my former employer and they refused to respond. so, there you have it.
if you are looking for work with your resume and have interviews, i would be honest with them to tell them what happened. tkae it or leave it. that is my plan. why aren't you working or why did you leave your last job, typical interview question. i was on disability and my employer termintated my employment while i was on disability. what else can you do, but move forward...

my current resume states

Feb. 2009-May 2009 Disability leave – Mar. 6, 2009 'former employer' terminated my employment while I was out on disability. Medical disability release to be able to work May 18, 2009, currently on unemployment

what are ya' gonna do....

Last edited:
thank you again for you reply. i have worried about when i am able how i was gonna put that on my resume. thank you again!

i have no idea if it helps to fill in the gaps or not on a resume, but to leave it blank leaves too many questions open, but that is what i did in my case

You do realize, don't you, that the maximum time the employer is required to hold your job for you is 12 weeks, right? And that if you exceed that time, you can legally be termed regardless of disability benefits?

that is true, if the employer correctly administer's fmla. but there does come a time when an act of 'good will' toward an employee might be a good gesture. temp agencies always have available help for these types of cases. i am always amazed at how folks are only willing to do what they 'have' to do rather than what is right.:rolleyes:

reasonable accomodation, as indicated by the ada, can include additional time off due to disability. it all depends on the employer and how anal they are and if they are truly in the human resources business or if they are just out to get someone who has the misfortune of illness or injury like this. that is how good companies get bad reputations.

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/accommodation.html#leave

Last edited:
employers are now on this 'reduce' healthcare costs thing and they seem to think that means reduce those who require healthcare....amazing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back