Fired and not reimbursed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glosha30

Can an employer fire you and cut the hours you worked the day you were fired? I worked 8 hours and only got 5. hours on my last check. Is that legal ? I also have proof of the time I left the building on my discharge paper.

You must prove you were authorized to work eight hours.
If you can, contact your states's wage and hour board.
Report the matter to them, they'll investigate.
Good luck.

It would have been nice to know the name of your state. If you *actually* worked 8 hours (authorized or not), you should be paid for 8 hrs. Any idea why you were only paid for 5 hrs.? Generally (not knowing your state though), you can file a wage claim/complaint with your state DOL.

(You seem to be an hourly non-exempt employee.)

Last edited:
You are not necessarily owed pay until the time you left the building - if you were then any employee could get paid an extra five hours a week by hanging out in the break room for an hour after work every night.

I have a suspicion there's something you're not telling us. At what point during the day were you told you were fired?

That is why I said if the OP actually worked, OP had to get paid - OP said worked 8 hrs. but could definitely not be telling us something. You don't get paid if you didn't actually work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back