Financial obligation

Suelaurie

Jurisdiction
California
My boyfriend of 1 year asked me to go on a cruise with him in France. I told him I couldn't afford to do that, so he offered to take me with money from a recent inheritance. He made all the arrangements, reservations, etc. He paid with his credit card. There was NEVER any discussion regarding me paying for my half. He made it quite clear it was "on him".
Due to some bad behavior on his part, we have now broken up, and I will certainly not be going with him on the trip. He has tried many times to make up with me, but I am in no way getting back together with him. Since that is now clear to him, he keeps asking me to help him get his money he is out due to me. There is an insurance policy covering the trip, but it has very specific reasons for cancelling, and requires a doctors note. To be kind, I had my doctor fill it out with the reason being stress, which is quite true at this time because I am feeling rather harassed. The insurance will not accept that as an acceptable claim. Now he wants me to find another reason. I don't have one, and certainly don't want to lie and break the law.
Am I in any way responsible for this? Can he go after me in court for my portion of the trip? I would prefer to just not communicate on this subject anymore with him. He caused the break up, so it seems he is most likely responsible, not me.

You have no responsibility at all.
You might suggest he take someone else.
Perhaps his parents would like a trip?
You have no responsibility at all.
You might suggest he take someone else.
Perhaps his parents would like a trip?
Thank you. He is going by himself. Parents are deceased. Not sure he can substitute another person since the original paperwork required Passport copies, etc.

Thank you. He is going by himself. Parents are deceased. Not sure he can substitute another person since the original paperwork required Passport copies, etc.

You could go, pay extra for your OWN cabin, and the money won't go to waste.

Otherwise, you can continue on your present course of action by declining to accept the "gift".

You owe him nothing, not even an explanation.

If he sues you, you'll present your side of the story, that he offered you a gift.

You have chosen to refuse the gift as you and he are no longer friends.

You could send my a "bon voyage" card or gift, to wish him safe travels, as France is a boiling pot filled with terroristic activity.

My boyfriend of 1 year asked me to go on a cruise with him in France. I told him I couldn't afford to do that, so he offered to take me with money from a recent inheritance. He made all the arrangements, reservations, etc. He paid with his credit card. There was NEVER any discussion regarding me paying for my half. He made it quite clear it was "on him".
Due to some bad behavior on his part, we have now broken up, and I will certainly not be going with him on the trip. He has tried many times to make up with me, but I am in no way getting back together with him. Since that is now clear to him, he keeps asking me to help him get his money he is out due to me. There is an insurance policy covering the trip, but it has very specific reasons for cancelling, and requires a doctors note. To be kind, I had my doctor fill it out with the reason being stress, which is quite true at this time because I am feeling rather harassed. The insurance will not accept that as an acceptable claim. Now he wants me to find another reason. I don't have one, and certainly don't want to lie and break the law.
Am I in any way responsible for this? Can he go after me in court for my portion of the trip? I would prefer to just not communicate on this subject anymore with him. He caused the break up, so it seems he is most likely responsible, not me.

Just ignore him. He chose to give you a gift - and now you're denying it. His loss, not yours.

Back