Professional Malpractice Film School

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbhamiltoniv

I am currently enrolled in a Los Angeles based film school. It advertises itself as a one year feature film directing academy. Therefore, over the course of one year I would have had classes, training, and directed a feature film. Great promise right?! Well, I've now been at the school since last october. We are not even in preproduction. Moreover, the "school" has yet to accept any scripts I have found (one of which is now being optioned by lionsgate with a 12 million dollar budget). I believe this is no more than a stalling tactic. From October to March we had zero, yes zero, classes. We sat in the school's one classroom and read scripts. Nothing further was provided. We recently had a 3 month class where each student directed a one act play. The teachers were a wonderful experience, however, our classes were held in the school administrator's living room. No lie. He said our classroom's were too expensive. Turns out his apartment is near $3000 a month! Guess how he pays for that? We have now just begun a second round of classes with only 2 classes per week. And yes, they are in the living room yet again.

Now I won't say a number (it's embarrassing), but a large amount of money was paid to this school, who's promise I remind you was a feature film. As of this minute the school has had over 10 directing students. It turns out not one feature film has been completed over the last 5 years. One was shot and remains on the cutting room floor 9 months after principal photography. Over half the students have left the school threatening legal action. The administrator has told each "there are no refunds, it's in the contract." Well, I never signed a contract and I don't know if this is better, worse, or indifferent. I'm beginning to think the school will never make a feature and am contemplating legal action.

Other students and I are discussing a class action lawsuit.

Does anyone have any advice for us?

rbhamiltoniv said:
I am currently enrolled in a Los Angeles based film school. It advertises itself as a one year feature film directing academy. Therefore, over the course of one year I would have had classes, training, and directed a feature film. Great promise right?! Well, I've now been at the school since last october. We are not even in preproduction. Moreover, the "school" has yet to accept any scripts I have found (one of which is now being optioned by lionsgate with a 12 million dollar budget). I believe this is no more than a stalling tactic. From October to March we had zero, yes zero, classes. We sat in the school's one classroom and read scripts. Nothing further was provided. We recently had a 3 month class where each student directed a one act play. The teachers were a wonderful experience, however, our classes were held in the school administrator's living room. No lie. He said our classroom's were too expensive. Turns out his apartment is near $3000 a month! Guess how he pays for that? We have now just begun a second round of classes with only 2 classes per week. And yes, they are in the living room yet again.

Now I won't say a number (it's embarrassing), but a large amount of money was paid to this school, who's promise I remind you was a feature film. As of this minute the school has had over 10 directing students. It turns out not one feature film has been completed over the last 5 years. One was shot and remains on the cutting room floor 9 months after principal photography. Over half the students have left the school threatening legal action. The administrator has told each "there are no refunds, it's in the contract." Well, I never signed a contract and I don't know if this is better, worse, or indifferent. I'm beginning to think the school will never make a feature and am contemplating legal action.

Other students and I are discussing a class action lawsuit.

Does anyone have any advice for us?

Hire an attorney and sue the "sham of a school".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back