Filing a complaint at Sheriff's Office

C

cpstraman

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
I need to go down to the Sheriff's Office to file a complaint. They will not charge an individual/inmate that assaulted me when I was a Detention Officer with ABHAN.
The statute of limitations is three years. I do not want to go by myself and want an attorney present.
Will I be able to find an attorney that will go with me for a fee?

Sure.

As long as you are willing to pay for the attorney's time, including the time it takes to travel back and forth and sit down with you to discuss your issues before going.

Figure 2 to 3 hours at $300 to $400 per hour and he'll probably want at least $1000 to $1400 up front as a retainer.

Call around to attorneys and see what kind of responses you get. Make sure you say something like "I'd like to make an appointment for a consultation and I will bring money."

You cannot force law enforcement to arrest someone, nor the DA's Office to charge and prosecute. If you were injured while working, you would need to file a WC claim.

And there's that, too.

You doggone sure betcha you can find an attorney to accompany you to the local courthouse. There are attorneys who will do just about anything if the money's right.

You doggone sure betcha you can find an attorney to accompany you to the local courthouse. There are attorneys who will do just about anything if the money's right.
It just doesn't mean that having an attorney will accomplish what you want as you are barking up the wrong tree. Asking the sheriff's office to file charges is like showing up at the MVA to buy a car.

It just doesn't mean that having an attorney will accomplish what you want as you are barking up the wrong tree. Asking the sheriff's office to file charges is like showing up at the MVA to buy a car.

It certainly doesn't mean that an attorney can cause the prosecutor to charge another human being.

However, if the OP wants a companion to tag along with him/her, I know many attorneys who would eagerly take that "gig", for the right price, of course.

Back