File Sharing & P2P Links

Status
Not open for further replies.

artistic012

A registered user on my forum posted a link to another website that has both freeware, shareware, and some illegal software. In anyway am I held liable for that link to that type of content. Is linking to illegal software outside of my domain illegal? Always good to know. Thank you!

I don't know specific laws on this subject, but I would think you could be held responsible to a point, for the content posted on your board/server.

I think they would see it as your responsibility to remove posts linked to illegal software. At the same time, linking to another site, that actually has the software, or links on it, I can't see where you could get in a lot of trouble.

Really depends on how leanient your host is, and what kinda wording is in the TOS..

Wish I could help more, good luck! :)

Creative210 said:
A registered user on my forum posted a link to another website that has both freeware, shareware, and some illegal software. In anyway am I held liable for that link to that type of content. Is linking to illegal software outside of my domain illegal? Always good to know. Thank you!

It is possible that linking to illegal software could subject you to a charge of secondary copyright infringement. Take a look at what is also happening to all the bittorrent link sites.

Well you should at least edit his post so that the link is not there, as for the reason the sites are getting away with this is that they are claiming the software is only for back ups and they are saying that if the user downloads the stuff then they are doing it for back ups only and its illegal if the user doesnt have the product already, yet they dont inforce the last statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back