Fiance has been caught in a lie and is a cheat wedding was planned for 3 weeks from now

anonymous in Nh

Jurisdiction
New Hampshire
We moved him and his two children into my house with my child in November the wedding was planned for June it now about three weeks away and I found a text which he explained away but, now I found pics of various body parts and that's about enough. There's no point in a wedding now and I want them to leave. What is the law? I know that it would be best for everyone if this happens as quickly as possible.

We moved him and his two children into my house with my child in November the wedding was planned for June it now about three weeks away and I found a text which he explained away but, now I found pics of various body parts and that's about enough. There's no point in a wedding now and I want them to leave. What is the law? I know that it would be best for everyone if this happens as quickly as possible.

You want quick, you offer him cash to vacate.

You negotiate a price, but to receive the cash, he has to be out within 48 hours.
For example, let's say you agree upon $1,000 to be out within 48 hours.
If he's 1 hour late, he gets $900, and so on.
He doesn't get the cash until he's completely off your property and his stuff is gone, too.
He signs a receipt which restates the agreement, and holds you harmless for his voluntary departure.

You can agree upon your details, but no cash until he and his crap are gone.

You could offer to pay his storage fees for 30 days, too.

These arrangements are personalized to suit the parties involved.

The other LEGAL option is evict him.
Read on for how that's done in your state:
New Hampshire has a special process for eviction. No landlord can lawfully evict a tenant without following the steps set out by state law (RSA 540). A tenant can be evicted for violating the lease. If the tenant has no written lease, she or he can be evicted for a variety of reasons. In New Hampshire, tenants renting part of a privately owned and owner-occupied home can be evicted for almost any reason.

In New Hampshire, there are five "good" causes for eviction:

Failure to pay the rent;
Substantial damage to the premises;
Behavior that affects the health and safety of others;
Violation of the lease;
Other good cause.
"Other good cause" may include legitimate business reasons of the landlord. If, however, the "other" cause is something that the tenant did or did not do, then the landlord must first give the tenant a written warning that in the future the action or inaction will be grounds for eviction.

The tenant can reverse the order for eviction in the first three causes by "remedying" the situation, that is, paying the rent, repairing the damage, and so forth.

A landlord can legally evict a tenant only by sending a written notice to the tenant. This written notice must be in the form of a "written notice to quit or leave" which is a legal document. Eviction for not paying rent, damages to the property or danger to the health or safety of others require seven days' notice. All other grounds for eviction require 30 days' notice.

In the case where a tenant has not paid rent, the landlord must make a written demand for payment of the money before issuing the notice-to-quit. The notice-to-quit for nonpayment of rent must explain the tenant's right to defeat eviction by paying the rent owed plus $15 before the last day of the notice-to-quit (RSA 540:3, IV). If the payment is made, then eviction for nonpayment of rent is no longer possible (RSA 540:2-5, 9). However, tenants can only avoid eviction by "curing nonpayment" three times during one calendar year.

The landlord may NOT break into the dwelling, may NOT move a tenant's belongings out, and may NOT turn off the heat and utilities. The sheriff is the only person who may remove property from the premises and this can be done only after the landlord has been awarded a court judgment called a "writ of possession" (RSA 540-A:3, III-IV).

A landlord cannot evict a tenant for reporting a building or housing code violation to the authorities, lawfully withholding rent, filing a complaint in court asking for an order to stop certain practices, or meeting with or organizing other tenants (RSA 540:13-A).
A Question/Answer Walk Through the Eviction Process | New Hampshire Legal Aid
Renting, Security Deposits, and Evictions | Consumer Sourcebook | Consumer Protection and Antitrust Bureau | NH Department of Justice
The Eviction Process in New Hampshire: Rules for Landlords and Property Managers

One last comment, don't ever allow anyone to reside in your home, not even overnight.

It is a rule my mother and dad maintained and taught us, their children.

It is my rule number one, and will always be my rule number one of my 100 Rules for Easy Living.

I want them to leave. What is the law?

The eviction law cited by Army Judge does not appear to apply to your situation.

540:1-a Definitions. - In this chapter:
IV. The term "tenant'' or "tenancy'' shall not include occupants or occupancy in the following places and the provisions of this chapter shall not apply to:
(d) A single-family home in which the occupant has no lease, which is the primary and usual residence of the owner.

Section 540:1-a Definitions.

I suggest you start by just telling them that they have to leave and give them a couple of days to pack up and get out.

If he gives you a hard time you might have to go the official eviction route through the courts or consider taking out a restraining order which will allow the police to immediately remove him from the property.

The eviction law cited by Army Judge does not appear to apply to your situation.

Section 540:1-a Definitions.

I suggest you start by just telling them that they have to leave and give them a couple of days to pack up and get out.

If he gives you a hard time you might have to go the official eviction route through the courts or consider taking out a restraining order which will allow the police to immediately remove him from the property.

I sure hope that works, because most of these vermin and squatters delay, delay, delay, and refusing to scat or pay.

Based on that provision she could wait until he goes to work and his kids go to school, then pack up their stuff, put it outside, and change the locks.

Would serve him right.

Based on that provision she could wait until he goes to work and his kids go to school, then pack up their stuff, put it outside, and change the locks.

Would serve him right.

Heck, I'd cart the junk away.

What, he lived here?
No way, he visited a couple times, but he never lived here, if you mean living here, instead of living there.

Never trust anyone, except your mother, father, and spouse.

Never ever rely on someone's promise to marry you, in fact, most people are better off unmarried.

Given some of the stories I read on these legal websites some people shouldn't even trust mother, father, or spouse. :D

You are correct, and day by day, the tales of woe become more disturbing and unnerving.

The only person I trust 100% is my wife.

Before my mother, father, father-in-law, and mother-in-law passed away, they were on my TRUST list.

The only person I trust 101%, you guessed it, the dummy who typed this. LOL

Back