Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion Fessing Up! Need state to state legal advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swoon33

Hello, I'm new to the forums.

I have a few questions regarding turning myself in for 2 warrants issued in 2002 & 2004. One is for a burglary in the 2nd degree and the other is for misrepresenting oneself to a pawn broker + concealing stolen property. (One charge in itself)

I'm 33 years old, single, have a cat a new car and am getting ready to graduate with an associates degree from a small junior college in the area. When these crimes occurred I was a completely different person, lost and into drinking/drugs. (No convictions) I just didn't care at the time. I've since then changed my life drastically for the better. Quit smoking and drinking, lost about 80lbs and just recently run in my second marathon! Anyway, I live many states away from where these crimes happened. Shortly after the 2004 incident is when I left the state and came to the state I'm currently residing in. I did get into some trouble shortly after my move. I was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor theft charge. I was put on probation for this theft charge and have completed it. At the time, the state where the two warrants where issued were contacted upon my arrest and given the opportunity to come and extradite me. They said that they where not going to extradite. When I spoke to my lawyer, he had said "Just don't go to or near the state, unless you are turning yourself in."

I did do the crimes and am ready to do the time if necessary. Here I am years later, planning on continuing my education and getting on with my life however, I cannot until I know the outcome of this situation. Other than the misdemeanor charge in the state I'm in, I have no other convictions on my record other than minor traffic violations.

1. How does the length of time effect my case?
2. Does anything I've accomplished since then help if brought up to the judge?
3. The state in question has a surrender program. Turn yourself in, see a judge later that day. Set another court date etc. Do I sell my car, throw everything in storage and give my cat away?
4. Do I need to obtain a place to stay in the state I am turning myself in? (IF I'm released after a court date is set that is. I'm only assuming that I would be released that day considering I'm turning myself in, in the first place.)
5. IF I am put on probation, how would that work? I mean, my LIFE, everything I own is where I currently live.

Thanks in advance :)

I do realize the best thing to do is to contact a lawyer in the state that these warrants were issued. I just wanted to get some thoughts before I do so.

...I'm 33 years old, single, have a cat...

Okay, you got me. What does having a cat have to do with anything?

1. How does the length of time effect my case?

A: I think you mean "affect". Anyway, you have been on the run; the government will not look favorably on you.

2. Does anything I've accomplished since then help if brought up to the judge?

A: You have been on the run; I doubt that anyone will be impressed.

3. The state in question has a surrender program. Turn yourself in, see a judge later that day. Set another court date etc. Do I sell my car, throw everything in storage and give my cat away?

A: Ah. That's where kitty comes in. Well, ask the judge all these questions.

4. Do I need to obtain a place to stay in the state I am turning myself in? (IF I'm released after a court date is set that is. I'm only assuming that I would be released that day considering I'm turning myself in, in the first place.)

A: I think that would be a good idea.

5. IF I am put on probation, how would that work? I mean, my LIFE, everything I own is where I currently live.

A: Again, ask the judge.

I do realize the best thing to do is to contact a lawyer in the state that these warrants were issued.

That is the single best answer for all your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back