FERPA violation? posting student information on facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinsp

I have been involved in a dispute about final coursework and student teaching in a Teacher Credentialing and MEd Program in which I had arranged to have one of my supervisors at work contact the chair of the program at my university. This was taking some time and the Chair posted the following on my wall on facebook:

"Robin I need to hear from you about student teaching. here are only 30 days left in the quarter and you need 40 days.

I have heard that this is a FERPA violation. Is that true? If it is true, what recourse do i have?

There have been numerous roadblocks in getting this process completed and if I have some leverage here I'd like to know it in case I need to use it.

It would appear that this is not actually a FERPA violation.

clicky clicky

They did not release any information to a third party - I can absolutely see the school claiming that they spoke only to you, and the privacy (or lack thereof) of your Facebook page isn't their problem.

(They'd be right, too)

would that be true even if the posting was a comment about a photo - in a thread on my wall that others had previously commented on. meaning - it was injected in the middle of a facebook conversation with others.

You gave them access to your Facebook, effectively - this is a valid means of contact, no?

that he was KGB.The Soviet diplomat was a fool and he was funny. He was also pralboby a KGB officer, and that's not so funny.People like John O'Sullivan and Kent Clizbe may seem funny to some people, but there is nothing funny about what Attorney General Cuccinelli is doing to UVA and Dr. Mann with the help of his political operatives who are paid by the fossil fuel industry and even by the state of Virginia. These kind of political operatives are like a little secret police, a little KGB. They are the sword and shield of the Denialist Party. They tell lies. They confuse and intimidate ordinary people like me who are trying to understand what is true. They can even drag universities and scientists into court. There is nothing funny about that.Still, I think that Cuccinelli and his ilk have ended up exposing themselves instead of Dr. Mann. Certainly I now see through Attorney General Cuccinelli. I won't be voting for him again. He lied to me, and so I will not be voting for ANY Republicans any time soon. His underling W. Russell never once answered all my emails, so I know the Attorney General's office is nothing but a pack of a liars who were trying to trick me on behalf of their financial sponsors.Cuccinelli is now pontificating about all the foreign women forced into prostitution, but Cuccinelli and his office are for sale.

Did Steve have the guts and transparency to post your cmnoemt? If so, did he respond? [DC: Last time I checked it was there, but no response. Occasional cross-posting is fine, but I don't necessarily want to get a running cmnoemtary of the back-and-forth on ClimateAudit. When the dust settles, I may do an overview of some of the more "interesting" cmnoemts. ]What details does Steve know about the post made by RC , we know McIntyre investigates IP addresses, so did he do same for RC ? Time for Mr. Steve McIntyre to cough up whatever he knows.[DC: Personally, I don't think making anyone's IP address (or other information based on that IP) known publicly is justifiable. But McIntyre does have a duty to communicate any relevant details to those investigating the crimes (i.e. the Norfolk constabulary). ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back