Criminal Law Felony Drug Diversion - Student Visa for Chile Study Abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

PortlandStuden

I am a college student who was charged with felony possession of marijuana (2 oz) in Portland, Oregon a year a half ago. After the distribution charge that was tacked along with it was dropped by a grand jury, I was offered the option of an intensive felony diversion program, and I took that option and have remained in college (Lewis and Clark). The program is going to be over soon, and I have applied to go on a study abroad trip to Chile. I am going to need a student visa. I'm not going to apply for the visa until I have completed the terms of the diversion program.

My understanding of the diversion program is that my charge will be dismissed. I'm going to also get it expunged the day I graduate from the diversion program. Still, I'm going to have to submit an FBI background check to the Chilean embassy for my visa application. It's the only offense on my record (except for a laughable trespassing misdemeanor for which I was given one day of community service). I was wondering how I could ensure that this whole catastrophe doesn't hurt my chances of getting my student visa.

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back