feeling helpless..dont know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cind

2 days ago I had a tramatic experience at work. I was a manager at a dollar general store but I quit my job because of this incident. At about 7:00 pm, my cashier was at lunch (they only have the budget to have 2 people work at night so I was told) A customer approched me and whispered that a man was in the back isle with his pants down , pooping. I was shocked and went to the isle and actually saw the man with his pants down and saw the poop fall out of him. He just looked at me like he was taking a walk in the park. I ran to the front, grabbed the phone and called the police. The dispatch said they had no available officers to assisit me and put me on hold for over 10 minutes. meanwhile people were leaving the store with their children and I felt very afraid and threatened. (The man was about 400 pounds and over 6ft tall and I am 115 pounds and 5ft tall) The dispatch came back on and said he was sorry but all officers were busy and put me back on hold. He never came back on the line and I hung up after about 20 minutes. I called my boss ( the actual store manager) and she said wow, well Sorry..gotta go. No one would help me, not the police, not my boss, not anyone and all I could think about is what if that man had attacked me?? I am tramatized , I can not get that image of that man out of my head, and the way he looked at me scared me to the point that I was a nervous wreck. Is there someone who can help me. I may be effected by this for the rest of my life. I called a lawyer in this town and they didnt know what to tell me either. I guess there is just no help for me and I may never get another job again because of this. I mean if you cant even count on the police to help you then what good are they. I just want to stay inside my house with the door locked .

Not to be rude but you were not threatened! Since there was no actual threat the Police did not rush over. i am sorry this happened but your reponse since this might be a bit over the top. I would urge you to seek out a professional to talk to

Well..that makes me feel tons better and yes I am considering seeking professional help for my own sanity.

The man did not threaten you and you did not have an emergency. If you had an emergency you would have gotten a faster response.
Depending on how statutes are written the man might not even have been committing a crime.
Did you at any point tell him to stop what he was doing and to leave the store?

He is being charged for indecent exposure and disorderly conduct and we are trained not to confront any person we suspect of shoplifting so I imagine the company would not have wanted me to confront a 400 lb man with his pants down who is pooping on the floor, the shelf, and several trash cans.

Most retailers tell their employees (other than those trained to confront) to not make contact with these people so you did right.

Well as I said, it depends how the statute is written. Usually indecent exposure requires some kind of sexual intent, but the disorderly might go somewhere if the guy was drunk or high.
Just curious.... how did he get charged with two offenses if the police never came? Is the problem really just that you wanted a faster response?
Had an officer been available you likely would have gotten a quick response, but this was not a priority call and had to wait for someone to become available.

They came 2 days later and a co worker told me, then the police called me and got my drivers licence number and tell me I may have to testify in court. My manager told them I was a witness and gave them my number so now I am suppose to help the company and the police, when no one was there for me. Gotta love justice.

So you rather he go free and do same to someone else? As you have been told they did what they could based on the situtation. Your issues your having now are basically your issues they were not caused by Police. Go see a therapist

I just said I was going to testify. No I do not want this to happen to someone else, because they would be feeling the same way I feel now. And yes i have ISSUES. Thanks for pointing that out.

Most states, I would guess Arkansas has one too, have a crime victims assistance fund.
Usually those funds assist victims of violent crimes.
I suggest you contact your manager (former manager) and discuss your concerns.
You never know, the company might be able to assist you in some way.
Try contacting her via a telephone and see what happens. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back