FBI background checks for employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

sos123

Hi, I was arrested few months ago for petit larceny, class A misdemeanor, I received an Adjournment in Contemplation of dismissal in which i did not have to enter any plea (guilty or not guilty) had to stay out of trouble for 6 months and my case will be automatically dismissed and records sealed automatically, I will not have any criminal record but I am guessing I'll still have an arrest record. This occurred in NY. Now I am very worried since I plan to major in Accounting and, I only need 2 more years to graduate, and I am planning to apply for positions for tax analysts in accounting/financial firms. I know many accounting/financial institutions do thorough background checks, like fingerprinting. my questions are:

1)Will my arrest show up on the FBI checks for employment? even if the charges were dismissed, and according to NY an arrest is not considered an arrest if the charges are dismissed
2)If it does show up, will the charges be mentioned on the background check report? I've read in some places were people said that they have been arrested and their charges were dismissed so that when somebody makes a background check on them, the arrest will show up but the specific charges will not be mentioned, that it will only say "some activity" or something similar, is this for every case that gets dismissed?
3)Is there anyway I can clean my record? like apply for a pardon to erase my arrest records? or cases that are dismissed through diversion programs are not eligible for that?

I will be making a background check on myself once my case gets dismissed and records are officially sealed, I've heard that sometimes some records are not reported to the FBI, therefore the FBI background checks come up clean but since there are many other ways to obtain criminal records, they may still be able to see my sealed records, I am thinking if I should volunteer my arrest incident to the employer even if it does not show up on my fbi records, is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance

Hi thanks for the reply
But when I search on google for "Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal", it states that all records of the event will be sealed after case is dismissed according to NY law. Plus I've heard that arrest records that did not end in conviction are not available for anyone but the person itself and law enforcement officials. Or anyone can see the arrest records if they get my fingerprints even if those records are sealed, they have access to sealed records?
I've also read something that Financial firms have the legal right to request rap sheets of applicants, does that mean that the rap sheet they request will also contain sealed records?
Thanks in advance

montanaflynn, did you happen to notice that this thread is a year and a half old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back