Rent, Utilities Father/Son Rental Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Br80

I live in an apartment in Orange County, CA. Both my father's and my names are on the lease (rental agreement). My question is simple;

Can he break the lease early, removing his name, without me agreeing to it? I was under the impression my signature was required to release him from the lease...

If I refuse to sign the 30-day intent to vacate that he has already signed, will he still be legally responsible for the costs of rent and/or eviction?

Basically, are both of our signatures required to break the lease? Or can he be removed scotch free, leaving me to face eviction alone?

I live in an apartment in Orange County, CA. Both my father's and my names are on the lease (rental agreement). My question is simple;

Can he break the lease early, removing his name, without me agreeing to it?

If your landlord allows him to break the lease, he can break the lease.

The lease is between your landlord and the two of you.

You are BOTH tenants. You are BOTH equal to each other, insofar as the lease goes.

I was under the impression my signature was required to release him from the lease...

If I refuse to sign the 30-day intent to vacate that he has already signed, will he still be legally responsible for the costs of rent and/or eviction?

Your signature means nothing on the lease, insofar as having any say in what YOUR MUTUAL landlord allows either of you to do.

If you refuse to sign an intent to vacate, you'll be STUCK on the lease alone, if your landlord renews it!

Basically, are both of our signatures required to break the lease? Or can he be removed scotch free, leaving me to face eviction alone?

You are confused or misinformed.

Disabuse yourself of what you think, and accept the new reality.

Dad can choose to NOT renew and leave when the lease expires.

Apparently that is what he has chosen to do.

You can stay, or you can choose to leave.

If you stay, the lease amount becomes your sole responsibility upon renewal.

Dad is no longer involved, and he is no longer required to pay any portion of what will become YOUR rent responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back