Family work laws for minors

Status
Not open for further replies.

edge1515

I have been working at a pizza place for about a year and a half now and the owner of the place is an absolute jerk. He has 5 or 6 kids and they are all home schooled.
The oldest is a boy who is now 16 and the second oldest is also a boy who is 14. Ever since I have worked there they have both put in upwards of 30+ hours per week at the restaurant. They hired a manager who does the scheduling and the owner requested that he and his wife work more hours as to keep payroll down. So there is only about 7 people that isn't family working there. All of their hours have been cut by 25 to 50% while they (the owner and his wife) are scheduled for about 5 days, or maybe 35 hours per week. Also, their two boys (16 and 14) are scheduled for about 20-25 hours per week.
Well, frequently, almost everyday, this guy makes his kids come in and work for him. The older one more than the younger one, but their hours still come out to something like this. The 16 yr old, about maybe 40 hours per week, and the 14 yr old, about maybe 30 hours per week.
Now as I stated earlier these kids are home schooled, and this guy is psycho religious, almost schizophrenic, and wont let these kids have any kind of social life. They are basically slaves at his business.
Oh and I forgot to mention, the 14 yr old gets "paid" .. infrequently at best, and the 16 yr old, doesn't get paid!!!!!
He has never gotten a paycheck, ever.
This has to be illegal!? Please tell me I'm right.
Due to lack of other options in a small town, I have had to continue to work there despite the antics of this conceited owner. But recently I found another place that will be hiring soon, so I will be quitting within the next few weeks, and I would be very interested in pursuing legal ramifications on these kids' behalf. I am 20 years old.
Thank you so much for all the information you can provide.
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back