Family roommate

Nisha4

Jurisdiction
Colorado
My family and I are renting a house and my sister and her 6 kids were evcited from their home. I allowed my sister and her kids come stay at my house for a short time this was only a verbal agreement between my sister and I. However, things arent working out with her staying here. Her kids are damaging things in the house, and my sister has been verbally abusive towards me and her children are now intentionally hurting my children. I told her to move out but she basically told me to piss off. I have asked her to tell her children to stop hitting and hurting my children and all she does is laugh in my face and tells me their deserve it and that she doesnt care. My sister has also tried to get me and my boyfriend in trouble with the law by calling to police saying that my boyfriend physically harmed her and when that didnt go her way she then call child protective services and made a report that I was allowing my boyfriend to smoke pot and drive my kids around. Which again was not true and the case was closed. I tried to processes an evcition myself but was told that my landlord had to do it. Now I am facing evcition if she doesnt get out but she is still refusing to leave. What can I do to get my sister to leave so that I dont lose my home?

You likely needed your landlord's permission to let her stay (which probably wouldn't have happened with so many kids).
If your landlord gets involved with eviction you can expect it to include everyone.
You might assist your sister in moving by assisting to find a new place, helping to move, and give her some starting cash as incentive to get out.
If that doesn't work you might just start looking for a new home for yourself and leave her behind.

Thank you for the advice not exactly what I wanted to hear. We offered to pay for storage for two months and a weeks stay in a hotel but she didnt like the hotel because it was to far away so she refused.

Just curious... Who told you the landlord has to do the eviction? It may not be accurate.

Even if this is true you can still do the eviction with your landlord's consent.

Meanwhile, but her off so she can't be a mooch. Stop stocking food in the house if you can, or make it inaccessible to her. Put away all the soap, toilet paper, linen, dishes, electronic gizmos. Discontinue cable tv and internet service or secure them with passwords. Make living at your home inconvenient and she might become more inclined to get out. You can also enlist the help of other family members to put some pressure on her.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice not exactly what I wanted to hear. We offered to pay for storage for two months and a weeks stay in a hotel but she didnt like the hotel because it was to far away so she refused.

Have you discussed the issue with your landlord?

You've got nothing to lose by discussing it with him, seeing if he'd evict her, and allow you and your family to stay.

To sweeten the pot, you could offer to pay him extra money for her family's presence in the house; ask him what that would be worth.

If you're afraid of going that route, find yourself a place within the next FIVE days, if you wait longer you risk being evicted if he's mad at you.

The mere filing of an eviction will probably cause you to be denied DECENT rental housing for decades, maybe as long as 40 years.

It will also impact your ability to receive government housing assistance and housing in publicly funded housing projects.

The lesson here is just say NO, I can't allow anyone to stay as little as ONE night in my home.

This will also hurt your FICO score eventually, if it hasn't done so already.

If you want to help a person or family, offering them a couple nights in a hotel or cash is the way NOT to harm you and your family.

Its sad to say, but all families have deadbeats who end up homeless, ours does, too.

Self protection of yourself, your babies, and your good name always comes first unless you're a billionaire and can afford to do more for the needy and foolish.

So this is what I have tried so far. From the beginning I personally served my sister with a Notice to Quit on Oct 30th (after talking to Legal Mates which is a program if you dont already know) who helps with free legal advice. They also gave me the paperwork to file with the courts, which I did the day after the Notice to Quit expired. While fileing with the court I was informed that if I was not the property owner I could not file aganist her my landlord had to do this. In the span of a week I had the cops called and child protective serivces called on me and have continued to be verbally harassed by my sister. Last week I was told by the police and child protective services to file a protection orded against her which I did and I denied that as well. The judge told me I needed to file an evcition which I told I already tried to do that. The judge told she couldnt give me legal advice pertaining to that situation. But to go talk to civil court and they would assist me in filing the correct paperwork. So did. I express to them that I have already tried this route they said my landlord could evcit just my sister and not myself and my family. Civil court then gave me the paperwork to give to my landlord. In the mean time I talked to my landlord and asked for his assistance in the eviction process my landlord agreed. After talking to his attorney he said he would have to evict us all in order to make my sister leave. So he then served me with a 3 day demanding compliance stating that if my sister left I would not be evcited. I called the Landlord and Tenant dispute and they told me to denied access to my house and part her things out and lock the door since she does not have a key or on the lease. However, after foing some research I discoved that was a bad idea. I have taken any and all luxuries away. I have unhooked the washer and dryer and turned off cable and internet and extra space that I was allowing her to use and still nothing. I am at a lost at what else I can do. Thank you for the advice.

Your story isn't unique, trust me, I've seen your problem time and again.

Try talking to your landlord, see if you can change his or her mind.

Ask your landlord if he'll allow you to BUY your way out if the lease.

Forget that child services harassment nonsense, protective riders, etc...

If you were instructed to LOCK her out, ask for that instruction in writing on their letterhead, and do it.

You can't worry about her and her brood, she's going to cause you and yours to be Homeless Soon.

You've got to fight back, legally, quickly.

You must fix this, or you'll BOTH be homeless.

The landlord does not have to evict all of you and surely knows this. I am not at all surprised at the decision to evict everyone anyway.
You likely violated your lease when you allowed all those people to move in.
You can still try and work this out to evict only your sister AND her kids.
Maybe offer to pay the landlords legal costs.

Back