Falsely declared by step-parent as employee on their tax forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefana2

Here is a summary of my case:
I worked part-time for employer (stepfather) for about 2 months.
I trusted the employer to declare my employment status honestly.
When my income tax came, the amount of tax I owed based on the money I earned while employed seemed highly suspicious, so I questioned employer.
Employer gave me a check, which covered the tax I owed plus some extra money—he explained this action by saying that he would pay my taxes for me and that I only had to sign a few papers giving authorization to the company that was doing his taxes to do mine as well...at this point I was very inexperienced about the tax code, and because of my personal relationship with the employer, I put aside any doubts I may have had about the legality of what was going on. I deposited his check in my account, signed the necessary paperwork, and wrote out a check in the amount I owed to the IRS. I did glance at the paperwork I was signing and noticed that my "salary" was highly erroneous (I hadn't earned more than $2K working for him, and yet I saw something like $24K written on that paper)…Obviously, the question may arise as to why I signed…Well, to put things in context, I was a full time student in my first year of college and I was experiencing substantial health problems related to my chronic illness. Since I had been in the care of my mother and custodial parent for a substantial part of my life…I couldn't bring myself to believe that her husband would ever cheat me in any way.
One year later, after discovering that he had a substantial tax savings (at least $10,000)due to his defrauding the IRS and misleading me into signing documents that were false, I would like to know if there is anything I can do to correct this injustice, if it is indeed an injustice—he feels as though he has done absolutely nothing wrong?

Q: I would like to know if there is anything I can do to correct this injustice, if it is indeed an injustice—he feels as though he has done absolutely nothing wrong?

A: Sure. Call the IRS and have a chat. Be prepared to explain why you shouldn't be charged in this scheme also since you willingly signed stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back