Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion Falsely accused of stealing from a family member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethenstien

Hello everyone, so a little background: I currently live with my mother and am quite active in helping her with her business that she runs out of her home office; along with several houses that we rent yearly on our property in a rural part of north western Washington. Several days ago while I was at work (I work full time in the neighboring town at a mail order business) someone drove onto our property, broke a few windows in a tool shed, and stole a $1500 set of snow tires. I was the first to notice this when I arrived home from work, and I promptly showed the damage to my mother and then called the local sheriffs department. They sent an officer out who took pictures, looked around, and told us that he suspects it was a random from a few counties over, drove up a few driveways looking for anything interesting and then left. Apparently this isn't particularly uncommon. He did however say that seeing as the tires were a very common brand sold by Les Schwab, the chances of finding the thief are next to none.

To say my mother was not pleased with this outcome is a bit of an understatement. She called and talked to our renters, only one of which heard anything. And this renter reported seeing a truck that looked similar to mine. This of course immediately made my mother suspicious of me, despite me being at work throughout the day.
She is apparently going to get a statement from this renter and update the police with her suspicions against me. now things like this have happened in the past, when ever something goes wrong I am usually the one who gets blamed, but it's never been on this scale before.

Seeing as no charges have been filed and it has not progressed beyond this point yet, I may be jumping the gun by asking this... But what should I do? I have never been accused of something of this nature before and I really don't have any idea of how to handle it...

There is nothing to do unless the police contact you. If they do, provide evidence you were at work at the time the theft occurred if it has been narrowed down to that time frame.
You are not obligated to speak with them if you don't want to. It sounds as if there is no evidence, so short of someone admitting to the crime nothing will come of it.

Hmmm, common tires, huh?
Perhaps the WITNESS is also the PERP?

It did occur to me that this may be some type of insurance fraud, as she should get a check for the windows as well as the tires, I am just shocked that she would do this, and I have no idea of what to do about it.

It did occur to me that this may be some type of insurance fraud, as she should get a check for the windows as well as the tires, I am just shocked that she would do this, and I have no idea of what to do about it.

At any rate, you didn't do, so keep telling the truth.
Even if they arrest you, don't say anything except name, address, date of birth, ask for a lawyer, then shut up like a clam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back