Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI False police report 148.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard1966

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I didn't see a section that fit my question.

When my friend was pulled over for a dwi I panicked and called 911 and made false report of a shooting around the corner in hopes of distracting police. I hung up after a short while, realizing the stupidity of what I was doing. The police tracked me a few minutes later and arrested me. I was cited for a 148.5. I have no prior conviction, first arrest. What is the usual procedure and penalty?

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I didn't see a section that fit my question.

When my friend was pulled over for a dwi I panicked and called 911 and made false report of a shooting around the corner in hopes of distracting police. I hung up after a short while, realizing the stupidity of what I was doing. The police tracked me a few minutes later and arrested me. I was cited for a 148.5. I have no prior conviction, first arrest. What is the usual procedure and penalty?
Up to 6 months in jail and up to $1,000 fine ... and had anyone been injured or killed as a result of your stunt, you could have been charged in conenctions to those incidents as well.

- Carl

Thanks for quick response Carl. What you have said is the same information that I'm getting with my research. However, when I asked the police officer who cited me what the penalty was likely to be he said "probably probation". Nobody was injured and the police realized within a few minutes that it was a false report. I was also vague in my call to 911 as to what I had witnessed, saying "I think I saw...." realizing immediately that what I was doing was wrong. Could this lead to a more lenient penalty?

Thanks again.

A first offense typically will lead to probation. That means you may be subject to search by law enforcement at any time for the duration of that probation. But, it's better than jail, I suppose. Plus, you will be liable for a fine and costs, fees, and assessments.

- Carl

Do you know how long, roughly, the probation would likely be for and what kind of fines I could expect?
It depends on whether you go to trial or not or have to pay for a public defender. I suspect your out of pocket costs might be between $1,000 and $2,000 and probation could be between two and three years. Admittedly, I have little experience on the sentencing side and this info is an estimate based upon my observations of similar offenses, so I will defer to anyone else who might have a more precise estimate.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back