Assault & Battery False arrest on assault, officer entered home without warranty, false police report

Status
Not open for further replies.

collincountytx

Not sure where to start on this one, but let me just present the facts. I am looking for my options as a citizen and would like to see if I need to take further steps to make sure justice is served, and recoup any damages that I am legally entitled to.

September
I was out with friends one evening, as well as ex girlfriend for drinks. We all left the bar we were at, and I drove the ex girlfriend back to her car, dropped her off, and then went home. My home is about a 45 mins from where I dropped her off at her car, and as I was driving back to home I continually received text messages and phone calls from her. Some of them were civil, however others were to the effect of "I will burn your house down, and kill you in your sleep" or ones such as "I will ruin every piece of you". I got home, set my house alarm, and got in bed. About 10 minutes after getting in bed, the alarm went off because the female had driven over to my house extremely intoxicated and tried to enter the home and made the alarm go off. I ended up getting up and opening the door for her and turned off the alarm. i asked her what she wanted, and said she wanted to get a few things she had left at my house a while back, so I said ok thats fine, come in and get your things and then leave. She went into the master bathroom to retrieve her belongings and I got back into my bed. She immediately came out of the bathroom area screaming and hit my in the head and started choking me. I jumped up and said she needed to leave and if she didnt stop this behavior I was going to call the police. needless to say, she didnt stop and I called the police. I have about a 5 minute phone call from that moment on, until the police arrive. She is screaming in the background of the 911 dispatch call, "Thats so mean, youre going to get me arrested", she hit me in the head while I was on the phone with dispatch, and the entire time of the 911 call I am trying to escape from her along with the advice of the 911 dispatch operator. I ended up going outside to escape from her, and she came out of the garage area and started to hit my car windows and chase me around outside. She started to go back into the home as I was still on the phone with dispatch, but I figured she was going to grab my shotgun that was laying against the wall in my garage and try to shoot me. (2 weeks prior she went for my handgun in my car and I had to have the police come and get her).

On the dispatch recording I say, "I'm going to hold her right here so she wont go for the gun, and I held onto her wrist and didnt move." 2 seconds later the police pull up in the driveway, and ask us both to move away from each other and separate. She is hyperventilating because she thinks she is about to go to jail. (Has a conviction for assault as a juv, burglary of habitation, assault misdemeanor and a dwi on her record.). I told the officer what happened, apparently she lied (I did an open records request of the incident report and found this out.). I was charged with felony assault class 3, impair breathing/circulation. 2 long months later was my grand jury hearing, and thankfully this individual/respondent was supenoed in the GJ and told the truth of the evening. I was no billed that day, and this nightmare was over (or so I thought).

I also remember that since we were both outside the City police and County Sherrifs both entered my house, even though we were both standing outside. The door was shut, and they entered anyways. In there, they took pictures of a few scratches on her arms, and other evidence (which I have seen and there is nothing to support their false charge of what they said I did). they proceeded to look throughout my entire house, even as far as the master bedroom closet and other rooms. Apparently they made comments about the home, and the officers ended up taking pictures of themselves posing in front of my large new home/landscape. about 15 minutes after I was placed in the back of the police car, the officer came and read my Miranda rights. I was booked in the jail, and bailed out 12 hours later. The officer put on his report that he saw me dragging her down the driveway, even though that didnt happen and his dash cam "malfunctioned" and there is no video evidence, and that her heard her screaming for me to let her go. Well I have the 911 audio recording and there isnt any audio of that, only her saying im so mean because she is going to get arrested and her being completely drunk and obnoxious in the background. The officer didnt believe the truth when I told her, and said well I didnt see any of that and I dont believe you. The arresting officer wouldnt let her make a written statement, because he said she is too intoxicated to make a statement. more so, when I was taken to jail, he let her stay at my house overnight by herself, and told her if she drives, she will be arrested for DUI.

I've come to find out the city has hired a consultant due to over police activity that is not ethical, and all sorts of ill-intended activities the department has done.

I've spent over 8k on legal fees to put a lawyer on retainer, thankfully the case got no billed because she told the truth that the offense never occured, and that she was in fact the aggressor.

I've sense applied for a protective order from this girl a few months later because she has assaulted me a few other times, and tried to break into my home while I was here. I did call the calls one night and have them issue her a criminal tresspass warning.

At the protective order hearing, the judge basically said I was making all of this up and that I was acting like a 15yr old. he issued both of us mutual restraining orders, which now affects my ability to do business because I cannot go to her place of work, which is a location that my company has provided services to for well over a year before she arrived there. She continues to contact me, even thought the restraining order prohibits contacting each other, however currently I don't want to take the time and resources to file suit and show she is in contempt of court. the police department in my city refuses to take any action against her, even for the false police report. I have an affadavit of non prosecution that she signed a few days after my arrest that tells the truth, and even copies of my cell phone log that says I called her many times that night and asked her to come over, even though my cell phone log shows the opposite- her calling me numerous times.

I've got all the text messages with her threats, her admission on email and text of what she did, and numerous friends that she ended up telling the truth to where she assaulted me.

Questions:

1) is there an ability to recover damages from the police department city for false arrest / violation of 4th amendment-civil rights? It has cost me alot of money, I have lost business because of it, and my reputation has been horribly damaged.
2) ability to request a remedy to the damages that were caused by female who lied to the officer, and was the one that assaulted me?

Please contact me if this is something I am able to look into further, as this female continues to harass me and my family, and my wish is for it to stop.

If I were you, I'd forget all of this nonsense, change my number, change my email, and IGNORE this nonsense.

That was also too long, so I popped down to the two questions. Most of us won't read anything more than four or five sentences, we're kinda slow.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Agreed. Not at all worth pursuing. Your own refusal to report violations of the restraining order does not help you.

You did not have a false arrest, at least not as you describe it. Police work with the information they have at the time. Sometimes they get it wrong, but that does not mean they acted improperly our violated your rights.You have nowhere to go with this. I don't see any 4th Amendment issues.

You will likely not be able to prove any significant civil damages, but you could try. It seems your better option its to just cut your losses and get away from this mess.

Thank you for your opinions. I would have preferred to write short, but there are many crucial issues. As to TRO violations, I have to file suit and so contempt. That's about $3500 I prefer not to have to spend.

Also as to the civil rights, the officer searched my house before I was read my rights. Being that I was outside my house, don't see why it would be lawful for him to search my home.

There is no legal duty to read a person their Miranda Rights unless the police believe such a person is a suspect in a crime. Questions such as name, address, did you see the basketball game, what time is it, etc... don't require such a warning to be read, nor does every arrest.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

thank you all for your prompt replies. My apologies for the many details, I am just unfamiliar with all of this and felt more information the better since this is such an odd deal. is it not illegal for an officer to enter a home when the door is shut when both individuals are outside of the residents? There was no search warrant presented, and from my little understanding there was no need for him to enter the home to prevent the destruction of possible evidence. it is not that I do not wish to report a violation of the restraining order, which I have, however that is a civil suit which would require $3,500 or so to pursue. My wish is for this individual to leave me alone however she does not and continues to harass myself and my family.

is it not illegal for an officer to enter a home when the door is shut when both individuals are outside of the residents?

Not necessarily. In your situation the inside and outside of the house were essentially a crime scene. Inside the house they may have made a safety sweep to check for additional occupants.
Unless they were conducting a search for evidence of some other crime or unless something they found is being used against you then you likely don't have an argument to make. I'm assuming you did not speak up at the time and insist they leave the house. That doesn't help.

There was no search warrant presented, and from my little understanding there was no need for him to enter the home to prevent the destruction of possible evidence.

It does not sound like a warrant was needed. You called the police to your house to report a crime. They came and investigated. Your house, your garage, etc were part of a crime scene and they would reasonably have a look through it. Unless you made your objection known at the time you don't have much of an argument. Even if you did object it may still depend on the circumstances. Warrants are not required for everything.

it is not that I do not wish to report a violation of the restraining order, which I have, however that is a civil suit which would require $3,500 or so to pursue. My wish is for this individual to leave me alone however she does not and continues to harass myself and my family.

Violation of a restraining order is usually a misdemeanor offense and the offender may be arrested every time they violate the order. That should be indicated right on the order. You should report every offense to law enforcement.

Last edited:
Again, thank you for your reply, and if I speak in a manner that is not knowledgeable towards these subjects, please forgive me as I clearly don't deal with this sort of stuff on a daily basis.

Item 1) I was not able to speak up because he asked me what happened and said "well I didnt see any of that happen, and I dont believe what you told me, so put your hands behind your back". Once he did that, he placed me in the back of the police car. As soon as I was handcuffed, I did not say another word. Once I was placed in cuffs, he then went and entered my house, so I was not afforded the opportunity to consent to a search. The officer went inside my home and took pictures of the female in my kitchen, even though we were both outside in the driveway at the time he arrived. so technically if he claims those photos as evidence/probable cause (which I've seen them and there isnt anything to be seen which is pretty frustrating in itself), it was obtained while he was illegally in my home (maybe?). Thankfully, above all else this nightmare was no-billed as I previously mentioned.

Item 2) If "the entire house was a crime scene", does that also give them an opportunity to search my pockets, the trunk of my car, and the storage shed out in the back of my property... seems like this may be a gray area here. Again, forgive me of my ignorance but to an individual who doesnt deal with this stuff daily it sounds like his complete search of my home was not necessary.

Item 3) I called the county, and they passed me along to my city. My city said they won't enforce violations of the protective order that I had put in place, or restraining order. the city attorney said that is a civil thing and they won't pursue it. I continue to report the violations to be on the safe side, however they have stated they won't touch that sort of thing.

thank you,

Last edited:
Again, thank you for your reply, and if I speak in a manner that is not knowledgeable towards these subjects, please forgive me as I clearly don't deal with this sort of stuff on a daily basis.

Item 1) I was not able to speak up because he asked me what happened and said "well I didnt see any of that happen, and I dont believe what you told me, so put your hands behind your back". Once he did that, he placed me in the back of the police car. As soon as I was handcuffed, I did not say another word. Once I was placed in cuffs, he then went and entered my house, so I was not afforded the opportunity to consent to a search. The officer went inside my home and took pictures of the female in my kitchen, even though we were both outside in the driveway at the time he arrived. so technically if he claims those photos as evidence/probable cause (which I've seen them and there isnt anything to be seen which is pretty frustrating in itself), it was obtained while he was illegally in my home (maybe?). Thankfully, above all else this nightmare was no-billed as I previously mentioned.

Item 2) If "the entire house was a crime scene", does that also give them an opportunity to search my pockets, the trunk of my car, and the storage shed out in the back of my property... seems like this may be a gray area here. Again, forgive me of my ignorance but to an individual who doesnt deal with this stuff daily it sounds like his complete search of my home was not necessary.

Item 3) I called the county, and they passed me along to my city. My city said they won't enforce violations of the protective order that I had put in place, or restraining order. the city attorney said that is a civil thing and they won't pursue it. I continue to report the violations to be on the safe side, however they have stated they won't touch that sort of thing.

thank you,

You can't solve any of this here.

I suggest you consult with an attorney in your county.

The initial consultation is normally free.

You can take your documentation, ask the lawyer to look at them, and discuss your possible remedies.

The restraining order is probably issued by a JP Court.

Only that court can address violations of the order.

If the restrained party trespasses on your property, you should call the police (and take pictures and get voice recordings).

If the police find the person present, they can be arrested when you show them the order.

If the officers don't see them, they can take a report, and you'll have to take your proof to the JP and ask him or her to sanction the violator.

That usually means they get a warning (or two) but will often be assessed a fine.

Thank you. Yes, I got a criminal tresspass warning against this person in December as she was trying to break into my home. So far, this has helped keep her away from my house.

Item 1 is a no go. If they had searched your home for a weapon that was used or found drugs or something like that then it might be suppressed in court later. It seems the girlfriend let them in the house, and you had called them there in the first place. You would have a hard time explaining how the officers actions were unreasonable. The location where they took the pictures of the girlfriend really is not relevant.

Item 2 is hard to say without knowing more. Your pockets were searched because you were arrested. That is valid. The rest of the searching has to factor in the scope of the search and officers intentions. Sometimes it is reasonable to do a quick search of a residence for additional people. This is a safety issue and is very different than going through all your drawers and cabinets. Searching the shed and the trunk of the car sound like a stretch, but maybe they had some reason we don't know of. They apparently didn't find anything to use against you though, so the argument is weakened.

Item 3 is a matter of process. It sounds like you need some legal assistance to learn how to enforce the order you have in your state. Read the order and understand its limits and the obligations it imposes upon the restrained person and law enforcement.

thank you mighty moose. the comments i made about the trunk, pockets, shed etc were hypothetical actually.

I submitted violations of a protective order when it was in place and the police didnt do anything. now I just have a restraining order against her, but in Texas I have to file suit and prove her actions are in contempt of court, which will be about $3500 to undertake. However, she persists and keeps violating the TRO so its getting to the point that I don't have any other choice but to pony up and file suit (which then I will request my costs will be placed onto her).

I'm a little concerning about my ability to recover my fees associated with the arrest since she gave false testimony to the officer at the time. I've read something about there is a legal term for individuals that file false police reports, which in turn cause damages to those who are arrested because of it. I've read that I could go to small claims court, and do a Pro Se representation, but in that case if the defendant allowed to have representation? I am not sure that I am a "match" for a professional litigator/defense attorney who knows terminology and language better than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back