fake picture on craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterlingview

If someone uses a random picture of someone else to post in craigslist personals is that illegal? Someone I know did this and was corresponding with someone through email that had responded to the ad. This person called them out for using a fake picture and they admitted that they used a fake picture and apologized and revealed some real information. Now the emailer is threatening to contact the FBI and threatening over and over to contact this persons grad school and said they are making it their mission to ruin this persons life and to reveal them as being a weirdo basically. What should this person do in this case? They are terified that this will harm their life

and to clarify the person whose picture was used knows nothing of this and is not threatening anything at all

Last edited:
Though not necessarily illegal, in and of itself, someone else telling the truth about you, is not really an issue unless they meet the burden of harassment or stalking.

understandable. Could there be legal trouble for using the "fake" picture though?

What YOU did was probably not illegal.

So, I doubt that legal trouble will follow.

But, if the "victim" outs you, it might make trouble for you.

I suggest you immediately take down or delete all that nonsense you've posted. Close the account if you can. Delete the email account(s) you have used.

Stop communicating with your "victim".

In essence, go silent, go missing, and forget about this.

If you do get "outed" do what Hollywood celebrities do and say you know nothing about this. Don't say your account was hacked, just say you know nothing.

Now you come back with the why ifs.
I said go missing. So, off you go. Say no more of this.
If asked about this, play dumb.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back