Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Fake ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

audrey3

Hello everyone,
My daughter has come into contact with a possible legal matter and a few colleagues referred me to this forum. My 18 year old daughter just informed me that she lost her wallet that contained a fake ID. She is nervous because she heard that if it is turned into the police, they can press charges and issue a warrant for her arrest. Is this true? What is the likeliness of that happening? She said that fake ID was hidden amongst her credit cards and her real license was clearly visible. Will the police search throughout the whole wallet or just look for a contact specification? Does anyone know if there is a certain amount of time the wallet has to be turned in in order for them to be able to press charges? I know that misdemeanors have a statute of limitations of one year, I don't know if that applies to when the crime was actually committed? In other words do they have to charge her in a certain amount of time? We cancelled her credit cards and issued a new license as soon as it was misplaced so I believe that this clarifies when the wallet was actually lost. Is this something I should be worried about? How will the police contact us if the wallet is turned in? This all happened in Maryland. How do you actually know if there is a warrant for your arrest? Sorry about all of the questions, I am a worried mom. Thank you for your input.
-Audrey

First statute of limitations is too much to worry about now.......She has not been charged nor have they alleged a crime yet. A charge or statute would come into play only when a crime is charged or alleged. You don't even know if it would make it to the cops. When something is returned missing to the cops, the cops take and inventory of everything in the wallet and register it in a form before safe keeping. So, it is possible she could be questioned about it if they notice it. But the law becomes tricky here.......She was not caught using a fake ID so they can't prove intent......Some kids make this IDs to pull pranks and simply possession is not evidence of false representation. So she has a shot at escaping........You could be contacted b mail by the cops or by your local PD. If there is a warrant you could be notified if your address is valid. More so, some lawyers would get the arrest which is public info and start sending you tons of letters within two days of the warrant. So check your mail..........

Thank you mafiaso...
Does anyone know if there is a certain time-frame that the police would have ot make charges? For instance if the wallet did not show up for a certain period of time?

In general, if it is a misdemeanor the state has 1 year to file. If the offense is a felony, they should have three years.

(Maryland Code: Title 5 - Courts and Judicial Proceedings ... 5-101 and 5-106)

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back