Fake Cheque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katerina S

Jurisdiction
Saskatchewan
I have recently been talking to this man on the internet and he claimed to need help by having me submit a cheque into my bank account and send money to his "niece" (also getting to keep a chunk of the money).

I did this, and turns out the cheque was fake. And the email he told me to send the money to was a blacklisted one.

I sent the investigators all of the conversations I have had with this man. I am currently waiting on the investigation to conclude so I could hopefully get my banking account back. The man I spoke on the phone about this with told me that since it is my account that I am liable for this.

What are the possible outcomes for this? Could I be charged with fraud? Could I be fined? What can I do to help this situation?

Thank you

What are the possible outcomes for this? Could I be charged with fraud? Could I be fined? What can I do to help this situation?

You should ask a Canadian lawyer.
Anything told you by someone from the USA would simply be a guess.

The likely outcome is that you are on the hook for the money and you'll never see a nickel of it back. The perpetrators won't get caught because they live in another country someplace where nobody can find them.

How anybody falls for this kind of scam is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back