"Fair Use" in Videogame Reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbartn

My jurisdiction is: New Hampshire, USA

If I were to use gameplay footage in a videogame review, would this qualify under fair use? I wouldn't use any more than 3 minutes of in-game footage at a time (the whole review probably being about 3.5-4 minutes in total), however I know this is a gray region in law so I am asking the professionals. I plan on posting these reviews on youtube and I would gain no commercial profit from their creation.

It's difficult to understand what you are doing. You want to post a review of a game you played and paste the video output of the game on YouTube as part of a personal review of gameplay?

Since this person never replied, I will answer for him. Yes, that is part of what he is doing. It is a fad on You Tube to do this. People post 5-15 minutes of game play sometimes intercut with footage of themselves talking into the camera. Some people review games in a serious fashion while some have a lot of "shtick" to their reviews where there is some humor for gamers. The humor is where they might show a lot of exaggerated frustration, swearing at how bad the game is etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back