1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

"Fair Use" in Videogame Reviews?

Discussion in 'Copyright, Trademark, Patent Law' started by robbartn, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robbartn

robbartn Law Topic Starter New Member

My jurisdiction is: New Hampshire, USA

If I were to use gameplay footage in a videogame review, would this qualify under fair use? I wouldn't use any more than 3 minutes of in-game footage at a time (the whole review probably being about 3.5-4 minutes in total), however I know this is a gray region in law so I am asking the professionals. I plan on posting these reviews on youtube and I would gain no commercial profit from their creation.

2. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

It's difficult to understand what you are doing. You want to post a review of a game you played and paste the video output of the game on YouTube as part of a personal review of gameplay?

3. Strongbadia

Strongbadia New Member

Since this person never replied, I will answer for him. Yes, that is part of what he is doing. It is a fad on You Tube to do this. People post 5-15 minutes of game play sometimes intercut with footage of themselves talking into the camera. Some people review games in a serious fashion while some have a lot of "shtick" to their reviews where there is some humor for gamers. The humor is where they might show a lot of exaggerated frustration, swearing at how bad the game is etc.

4. Michael Wechsler

Yep, everyone has their 15 minutes of fame on YouTube, trying to stand out from the crowd for better... and for worse! Thanks for the comment!

5. lolbob

lolbob New Member

I would think it would qualify, but who knows with the DMCA.

6. Michael Wechsler

It's more traditional copyright law than the DMCA that is at issue, IMHO.