failure to yield to stationary emergency vehicle

M

mnorris0206

Jurisdiction
Washington
I was cited in Washington State ( 46.61.212r) failure to yield to an stationary emergency vehicle. I was traveling on a highway with two lanes in each direction when I saw flashing lights ahead. As I approached I did slow down though the officer said I didn't and as I approached the State Trooper started wailing his arms at me which totally shocked me. I did not change lanes though my wife says I moved over slightly upon seeing the officer waving arms. I did not feel I moved completely over because I was startled by the waving of arms which hindered by decision making. I did not even know you had to yield to a stationary emergency vehicle. On another note, when the officer got in his vehicle and caught up with me, the first thing he said to me was "What are doing, trying to run me over? Being a very cautious driver, I was astounded by the accusation. How do I beat this or at the very least reduce the fined

I was cited in Washington State ( 46.61.212r) failure to yield to an stationary emergency vehicle. I was traveling on a highway with two lanes in each direction when I saw flashing lights ahead. As I approached I did slow down though the officer said I didn't and as I approached the State Trooper started wailing his arms at me which totally shocked me. I did not change lanes though my wife says I moved over slightly upon seeing the officer waving arms. I did not feel I moved completely over because I was startled by the waving of arms which hindered by decision making. I did not even know you had to yield to a stationary emergency vehicle. On another note, when the officer got in his vehicle and caught up with me, the first thing he said to me was "What are doing, trying to run me over? Being a very cautious driver, I was astounded by the accusation. How do I beat this or at the very least reduce the fined

You don't BEAT traffic citations.
Generally the conviction rate is above 95%.
In some states you can take traffic school.
However, if the citation involves certain violations, traffic school isn't allowed.

This WSP site explains the law:

Request Rejected

As a licensed driver it's your duty to stay abreast of all traffic laws.
You could have SLOWED down, if it was unsafe to move over, or you had to violate other was or put yourself or others in danger by changing lanes.
COMMON SENSE is something we're all equipped to use.
SAFETY FIRST keeps you legal.

A previous poster with your same concern:

Failure to Yield to Stationary Emergency Vehicle Citation

Finally, the law you seem to be unfamiliar with was created in 2007, tweaked in 2010 as this Seattle newspaper article reveals:

New state law aims to protect emergency vehicles, responders

I have to wonder why you would even slow down if you weren't aware of the law.
Even so, how much you should slow down is subjective. You likely didn't slow to what the officer felt was a reasonably safe speed.
If you were to argue this in court you would probably want to point out that you did slow down. The officer won't likely be able to verify your speed before and after, only that you did not move over.
If traffic school is an option that is often the best way to go, even though you still end up paying it keeps everything off your record.

Back