Failure to stop at Weigh Station in Mississippi

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

At approximately 0715 I was eastbound from LUCEDALE, MS and near the stateline of Alabama when the sun did then and there assault my eyes and vision with intensely powerful and harmful rays. I defended myself by lowering my visor down to the level of the trunk of the vehicle in front of me. I was later pulled over by Super Trooper who inquired as to why I had not not stopped at the scales. I said the sun was in my eyes. He said I needed to come back. I offered a certified scale weigh receipt but he reiterated that I have to come back. He took my license. I went back through both of the scales and went inside where he checked all my permits and credentials and filled out a checklist showing he had done so. My name on the form and the ticket were misspelled by two letters being switched.
The ticket was for Failure to Stop. The law states that to fail or refuse to stop at a weigh station is a misdemeanor punishable by a $1000 fine. The court says its $1175. Attorneys want $1200-1500. Should I file a Motion To Dismiss and not mention the misspelled name?

The incorrect spelling of the name will simply be amended at trial.
It means nothing legally.
What you should do is up to you, but in this case, you stopped or you didn't stop.
The sun excuse won't fly.
If anything, it'll draw attention to other things.
As far as costs, daddy used to say, "Mistakes are caused carelessness and in inattention for which we all must pay!"
If possible, ask a lawyer about deferred adjudication with your super trucker license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back