Facility choice for treatment

K

Keith N.

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
As I have been detained at a hospital for an evaluation after a attempted suicide. Can they force you to go wherever they see fit.
They want to send me to moucin bend. I have heard this a center for the criminal insane.. Can they force you to go to such a place?

As I have been detained at a hospital for an evaluation after a attempted suicide. Can they force you to go wherever they see fit.
They want to send me to moucin bend. I have heard this a center for the criminal insane.. Can they force you to go to such a place?

It's Moccasin Bend. You heard wrong - the following is from their website:

Moccasin Bend Mental Health Institute (MBMHI) is a psychiatric hospital that serves 52 counties in East Tennessee. It was founded in 1961 in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The hospital offers 4 acute psychiatric care units and 2 long-term care units, comprising a total of 150 adult psychiatric beds. Hospitalizations are on a voluntary or involuntary basis, or patients can also be referred by the court system for pre-trial evaluations.

If you were incarcerated in a county jail (convicted, arrested, or under indictment) your options are limited NOT to go.

You can discuss any human rights violations with your lawyer, or petition the court to intervene by prohibiting your transfer to Moccasin Bend.

If you merely attempted to harm yourself ( I am not minimizing your actions, simply trying to clarify your plight), you can be evaluated, but not locked away without end.

If you suffered a temporary illness, or even suffer from some form of permanent mental illness, what you describe seems suspect.

However, if you have been convicted of a crime and are under the control of parole authorities (or state penal authorities) your options are limited by your prior actions.

Nevertheless, you do still have a right to hearing and an adjudication to determine how long you can be hospitalized, or even if you should be hospitalized.

Back