1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

F2 Visa Inquiry F Visa

Discussion in 'Cultural, Training, Student Visa' started by b.sighersson, Jun 29, 2016.

  1. b.sighersson

    b.sighersson Law Topic Starter Guest


    I am a freelance graphic designer.
    My wife was accepted to a college in Florida and is considering to begin her studies in the US next year.
    If things go as planned, she will be granted the F1 Student visa which means that as her dependent I will accompany her on F2 visa.

    My question is as follows;
    As F2 visa holder I am not allowed to work in the US, but since I'm a freelancer,
    is it legal to keep working for contacts outside of the US while printing my receipts at my home country as I do nowadays?

    The way I see it, it is no different than using my laptop when on a vacation since the work is not wired through the US at any point, but a little search on the web shows the opinions are split since some claim that any work done when a person is on US soil is to be considered "working in the US", and thus defies the terms of the F2 visa.
    From my understanding there are also two aspects for the matter since it involves both Immigration Laws and Tax Laws.

    If anyone could shed some more light on the matter I would be grateful!
    Kind regards,
    B. Sighersson
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    I suggest you ask these fine folks: www.uscis.gov, or the university where your wife will doing her studies.

    You can also ask the fine folks at the nearest US Embassy or US Consulate in Israel.

    When in Rome, obey the laws of the Romans, when in the US PLEASE obey our laws.

Share This Page