1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

F1 CPT visa get married with green card holder?

Discussion in 'Family Immigration, Fiancee & Marriage Visa' started by yorn_panha, May 20, 2016.

  1. yorn_panha

    yorn_panha Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I am a F1 visa student with CPT status, I got married with my wife who is a green card holder. Please kindly help me to give advice the fastest way how can I get green card? She needs to take 3 more years to get citizenship, but next year my F1 visa will expired. What should we do?
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Marrying a US Citizen doesn't necessarily allow you to advance to the front of the immigration line.

    Marrying a GC holder has even less impact.

    You need to consult an immigration attorney, as does your wife.
    Sponsoring an immigrant carries some extremely onerous implications.
    Plus, there are many things that must be proven to USCIS.

    You can investigate at USCIS website: www.uscis.gov
  3. Michael Wechsler

    Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Your issue probably revolves around an F2A visa also known as the Family-Based Immigrant Visa.

    "Family Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and over) of LPRs."

    There is a quota for these F2 family-based visas and the wait time can be significant. The US Department of State warns that:

    "In certain categories with many approved petitions compared to available visas, there may be a waiting period of several years, or more, before a priority date is reached. Check the Visa Bulletin for the latest priority dates."

    There may be other options but your best bet is to have a consultation with an immigration attorney. Feel free to use our immigration case review to help you find an immigration attorney if you do not have one.

Share This Page