Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Extreme and Continual Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarian

I really hope you guys will be able to help me here. I want to be able to help my friend and put her mind at ease.

Recently my friend has been receiving calls from a guy who has caused her extreme mental anguish in the past. He's gone as far as calling under restricted numbers several times daily and leaving voice mails on her phone demeaning and threatening her. He's been hinting about knowledge of her whereabouts which is causing her to panic.

This has continued on and off for years now... starting with this man sexually harassing her under the age of 18. At the time she was too scared to do anything about it for fear of him lashing out and harming her.

These threats are causing her to lose sleep and constantly fear for her own safety. Is there any legal action that can be taken against him? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

THe first step is to make a police report.
The second step is to get a restraining order.
The third step is to report the violation of the order every time he continues to call.
He will get tired of being contacted by the police and going to jail and will stop calling.

Another option is to change the phone number, or to require callers to unblock their number before accepting calls.

Curious... what is the nature of the threats made?

Thanks for the response.

Is it easy to get a restraining order? I'm worried that they will need some evidence to do it. She still has a voice mail on her phone, would that be enough?

I told her to change her number and she's going to get that done asap.

I'd ask her for more details, but it's very emotional for her. From what shes told me, they have been death threats and even going as far as saying he will check every house in the city to find her.

Moose is absolutely correct. My only concern is whether or not he has ever been her boyfriend, or lived with her. Domestic restraining orders are very easy to get, orders between those who are non-domestic partners require a bit more paperwork. You will absolutely GET a restraining order with the fact pattern you have presented, but you may need help filing for it.

She should do exactly as Moose has advised. Most importantly she should call the police EVERY TIME he contacts her in any way. Do not be shy, that is what they are for. Once a Judge has ordered him to leave you alone, any contact, and I mean ANY CONTACT is a serious matter that the Police will not hesitate to act upon.

Good luck.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but, some states make it rather difficult to obtain restraining orders unless they are domestic violence related. I am not sure what category New York falls in to.

The second hurdle might be where the suspect resides. If out of state, service might be quite difficult, and prosecution would be nearly impossible. Even being out of the county could provide for some real logistical hurdles to be crossed.

Sarian, your friend should report this to the police as it might not only be some form of criminal harassment, but it might constitute criminal stalking as well. If it is stalking, then some additional resources might come in to play, and the seriousness of the offense is raised a few notches. If this were a felony, it would make it more palatable for an agency to spend resources on the issue.

- Carl

Thanks again for all the replies.

He does reside in state, but they have never lived together or been in a relationship. I talked to her about it, and from the sounds of it the guy is really unstable. Shes afraid that if she were to get a restraining order that it would only provoke him and cause him to lash out.

Shes been in a situation before where she had a restraining order from an ex, but he ended up breaking in and assaulting her with a weapon. Shes scared of a repeat incident.

He is still leaving her voice mails with threats.

If she does NOT report this to the police or attempt to get some kind of protective order, then no one can do anything to prevent it. No one can help her if she is not willing to reach out to get that help.

- Carl

She can still change her number if she doesn't want to get the restraining order.
Her best bet is to pursue the order though.
If something should happen to her then police would zero in on the restrained person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back