extra hours given soley on lower wages- ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenie

I work part-time as lead teacher for a small private pre-school. Recently all employees have had our weekly hours cut do to a lower enrollment year. We were told that as extra hours became available with our after school care program the employee's would take turns working the hours as they came available. Which was working fine until...the same employee was asked to work twice in the rotation. I brought the subject up with my boss who then told me that she had been told by the school board to use the other employee because she made less per hour than the rest of us...those of us that have been there longer ect...this employee was just hired as my aide. I then addressed the issue with the school board and was told that she had been through some 'family troubles' recently and it would be the christian thing to do for her to be given more hours. I believe this is favoritism as this person is very, very good friends with one of the members of the board.

I don't think this is fair certianly but is it legal to offer overtime based on pay scale? Based on being the "Christian thing to do'? Based on favoritism?

Our staff is having a meeting with the school board soon to discuss any issues we want addressed. They have asked us to submit them in wirting in advance. I'm including what I have written below and would appreciate any advice/critque you may have to offer. I have removed the names of emplyees and the name of my school for obvious reasons :)

Thank you,

Brenie

Date: October 17, 2007

To: Staff and School Board Members

Re: Request for written questions and/or concerns from the staff at School Board dated Oct. 17th (see attached copy).

1. I would like a written policy regarding the criteria used in the selection of employees to work additional hours other than those worked in our normal work week.

2. If employees 1, Employee 2 or I are unable to work our scheduled day of Aftercare. What criteria will be used to select an employee to work the additional hours?

3. What criteria will be used in the selection of an employee to help with any areas such as administrative duties, cleaning, organizing or other duties as needed.

4. The calendar of School has routinely been the same as (local School district as far as Holidays, Breaks and inclement weather closings and/or delays – except for Fog delays. There was a change/error concerning Fall Break this year that caused some confusion with staff and some of our students' parents. Has this policy been changed?

5. Staff to receive routine minutes of the school board meetings.

6. Is there a representative from the Church session and/or personnel committee on the board? If not, should there be?

Thank each of you for taking the time to review and address these concerns.

Sincerely,

There is nothing illegal about offering overtime to employees based on their pay scale. I agree it's not fair but it is not violating any laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back