External Spider Infestation

morfyd

Jurisdiction
Florida
Thank you in advance for taking time to respond to my question.

I live in a condo that has four floors. Since last year, I informed my condo association that I was infested with spiders outside of my windows. The windows are filled with spider egg sacks. Nothing was done.

I replaced my windows and again the problem occurred. I again contacted them and was informed that I needed to allow the Pest guy into my apartment for him to spray. I asked why it was necessary to do that when the problem was completely outside. They never responded. I however, agreed and scheduled for the spay. When he arrived, he wanted me to remove the pull out screens and I refused. He didn't want to take responsibility, should anything go wrong.

The association is now telling me that he has no way of getting up to the 3rd floor from the outside and that is why need needs to do it from the inside, and to let them know when I can remove the screen so that we can schedule a date/time for this to occur. I know this is completely incorrect and would like to know what are my legal rights and options and the best way to handle this.

Regards

Thank you in advance for taking time to respond to my question.

I live in a condo that has four floors. Since last year, I informed my condo association that I was infested with spiders outside of my windows. The windows are filled with spider egg sacks. Nothing was done.

I replaced my windows and again the problem occurred. I again contacted them and was informed that I needed to allow the Pest guy into my apartment for him to spray. I asked why it was necessary to do that when the problem was completely outside. They never responded. I however, agreed and scheduled for the spay. When he arrived, he wanted me to remove the pull out screens and I refused. He didn't want to take responsibility, should anything go wrong.

The association is now telling me that he has no way of getting up to the 3rd floor from the outside and that is why need needs to do it from the inside, and to let them know when I can remove the screen so that we can schedule a date/time for this to occur. I know this is completely incorrect and would like to know what are my legal rights and options and the best way to handle this.

Regards

I suggest you cooperate with your association, or hire your own pest control firm, if your bylaws allow you to do so.

If you continue to resist their efforts, you are likely hurting any legal remedies you might one day need to access.

I know this is completely incorrect

Really? If you knew, you'd be in the pest control business and wouldn't be relying on the HOA.

would like to know what are my legal rights and options and the best way to handle this..

Do want to hire a pest control company to climb a three story ladder and pay them an outrageous amount of money to do it, or do you want to litigate and pay a lawyer an outrageous amount of money for the next 6 months to a year with no guarantee of winning?

If the answer is no to both questions then I suggest you remove the screens and let the pest control guy take care of things.

Frankly, you could have bought your own pest control chemicals and done it yourself a year ago. Sheesh. What is with some people? smh.

I appreciate those taking the time out of their schedule to answer my question(s), especially since it is free. However, what is not appreciated, is the condescending attitude/response.

We are not idiots. A respectful response is due to all those requesting answers to our question.

You want the spiders gone, so let the pest control person do their job. What's the issue about removing the screens? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you're making a big deal over nothing.

Agree. I'm not sure why you removing the screens is an issue. There is certainly no law that states the pest control company has to remove and replace window screens. It should be obvious why inside access is needed for an area which is 30 feet in the air. A ladder which would reach the third floor or higher is not a safe alternative. You have zero rights which are being infringed upon. Spiders live outside. I don't like the creepy little buggers either, but ridding yourself of them is as easy as removing a screen and making an appointment.

Back