Criminal Records, Expungement Expunging A Misdemeanor??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisak

I was arrested for shoplifting back in 2004 when I was 18 years old. I went to court & handled everything. I got a choice between community service or paying a $75 fine. I paid the fine & the case was closed. I'm trying to get my record expunged, is it possible? That was my first & only case.

How would I go about getting it expunged? How much will it cost? Most importantly, how long will it take?

What is the exact number………..name of your charge? Some misdemeanors cannot be expunged but can be sealed….It depends from one state to another. You would need a lawyer to help you get it done....court approvals ....etc. Some people do it on their own. A lawyer fee would be in most cases less than 1000 dollars. It would take about 4 months once it is approved to make sure it is clear at all the agencies. It sometimes takes just about 2 months if you are lucky.

Varies from state to state.

I dont' think nearly enough time has passed. Expungement is usually a one time shot, and if you screw it up, you can't try again.

As long as it was a crime, and not an administrative "crime" or infraction, yes you can expunge it. Maybe not at the state level, but at the Federal level, yes you can.

I should be home in about a week, and will post what I have. Most felonies can be expunged as well. Not all, but most.

Look, you paid your fine, did your time, what ever. In amerika, they cannot hold that over your head forever, it's a violation of your right to privacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back