Exempt vs nonexempt physicians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamr

In order to be an exempt employee one must meet all of the several tests, but there are occupational exceptions.
The first test is that the employee is paid on a salary basis and is paid at least $455 per week. Does anyone know if physicians are exempt employees under the law, if they are paid by the hour, rather than on a salary basis?

I'm not entirely clear on what your question is. ANY employee can be lawfully paid on a non-exempt basis, including physicians. I'm not in the medical field but it's my understanding that many doctors are paid on an hourly basis, particularly those who work for hospitals - such as ER physicians - but that's a matter of customary practice in certain situations, not a legal one.

Physicians certainly would meet the critieria in the FLSA for exempt status.

I think the question is whether or not a physician can be considered exempt if s/he is paid on an hourly basis.

The answer is yes, they can.

While it is far, FAR more common for an exempt employee to be paid on a salaried basis (to the point where many mistakenly believe that exempt and salaried are synonymous) there is a provision for certain professionals, such as doctors, attorneys and some computer professionals, to be paid hourly but considered exempt.

Yes. Another way to state my question: In general, employees classified as Exempt must meet the "paid on a salary basis" test as well as the other tests. I want to know if a physician who is paid by the hour (not on a salary basis) could be unlawfully classified as Exempt so that his employer could avoid paying overtime, for example.

A physician who is paid by the hour can still lawfully be considered exempt.

Thanks for the information. Another variable that I should have incorporated into my question initially: What about the case where the physician is not practicing medicine (i.e. not seeing patients) -- but his hourly job is performing medical director or administrative duties. The employer does require a medical license for these duties, however. Can this "adminstrative" duties only physician employee who is paid by the hour still be lawfully classified as Exempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back