Example of petition to amend death certificate Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlaw123

In order to apply for surviving spouse social security benefit, I need a copy of an accurate death certificate. At the time of my husband's death, in 2009, we were living apart, and therefore the person who filled out the death certificate apparently believed that we were no longer married, and as a result the death certificate indicated that the marital status was divorced. I never noticed that until I obtained a copy of the death certificate for the purposes of filing social security.
In Florida, the statutes say that in order to change the marital status on a death certificate you need a court order. Since I can't afford an attorney, I plan to petition the court for the change, but I cannot find an example of a petition for changing a death certificate. I was able to locate an affidavit for change of death certificate, but it appears that I will need to file both a petition and an affidavit. Can anyone point me to an example of a petition to the court for changing a death certificate?
Thank you.

I am unclear about what you're trying to achieve.
Their are no surviving spousal benefits.
Any of his minor children are entitled to a monthly benefit, to be paid to their guardian or parent.
Otherwise, as a surviving spouse, or a former spouse; SS will calculate if you are to receive a larger benefit due to your work history or his. They'll then pay you accordingly. That normally happens in your 60s, or sooner if you're disabled.

SS explains it thoroughly, if you're curious:

http://www.ssa.gov/survivorplan/onyourown2.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back