Breaking a Lease Ex stayed in apartment without paying rent for 4 months....

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalshmegal

I co-signed a lease for an apartment in RI with my boyfriend and 4 months before the lease expired, we broke up. I moved out (I gave the property manager notice verbally) and he decided to stay. Over a year later, a collections agency reported to my credit report and I found out that my ex-boyfriend had not paid a penny in rent for the remaining 4 months in which he lived in the apartment. The property manager didn't evict my ex even though rent wasn't being paid which accumulated to almost $6,000 in back rent that I am being held responsible for (it won't come off of my credit unless it's paid and my ex definitely won't pay it). If the property manager didn't take care to evict x for non-payment during the remaining 4 months of our lease, is he able to hold me responsible for the rent that was never paid? I'm entirely unable to pay the debt and it's killing my credit but out of spite for x, the property manager won't remove it and although "he wishes he could", since I was on the lease he can't hold only x responsible.
If x wasn't paying rent, shouldn't the property manager have evicted him and moved a new tenant in? Can he really hold me responsible for 4 months worth of unpaid rent that he could have collected had he evicted x?

. If the property manager didn't take care to evict x for non-payment during the remaining 4 months of our lease, is he able to hold me responsible for the rent that was never paid?

If x wasn't paying rent, shouldn't the property manager have evicted him and moved a new tenant in?

Can he really hold me responsible for 4 months worth of unpaid rent that he could have collected had he evicted x?

YES

Evictions take time, but evicting him was his choice.

YES

You broke the lease. Your man broke the lease.
The LL is holding BOTH of you responsible.

Good luck.

Why shouldn't you be responsible? You signed an agreement that said you would pay rent for 12 months. You opted to leave early but that doesn't have anything to do with your obligation to uphold the contract you signed. Why should the landlord have to do anything when he has a signed agreement from you for a year's lease?

The LL deserves any money due for the length of the lease. You are both responsible for payment since you both signed the lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back