Ex-roommates were Evicted, Renter wants Money from Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomsgbarista

I moved out of my apartment in August 2010, and I submitted (in writing) the termination of my apartment contract.

My two ex-roommates did not get a new rent contract. They instead stayed in the apartment under our old contract. (is this legal?)

The roommates were evicted in January 2011 and now the apartment owners want me to pay for their late rent as well as damages to the apartment.

Attempts to contact the ex-roommates have been unsuccessful.

I only have 3 weeks to act. What should I do? Can I take this to small claims court and win?

I moved out of my apartment in August 2010, and I submitted (in writing) the termination of my apartment contract.

My two ex-roommates did not get a new rent contract. They instead stayed in the apartment under our old contract. (is this legal?)

The roommates were evicted in January 2011 and now the apartment owners want me to pay for their late rent as well as damages to the apartment.

Attempts to contact the ex-roommates have been unsuccessful.

I only have 3 weeks to act. What should I do? Can I take this to small claims court and win?

The ex-roomies didn't stay under your old lease.
When the lease expired, if they failed to renew one, they became month to month tenants.

You, in any case, are NOT responsible for any debts they incurred after your departure.

I suggest you send a letter to your former landlord apprising him.her of the situation.

If any monies are owed, you don't owe them.

If you don't owe any money, you have no action you need to bring in small claims court.

You said you gave written notice, but to who? The landlord or the other roommates?
If you properly informed the landlord that you were out then you should be fine as for the rent. If the landlord did not know you were out then that explains why he is coming after you. Since you wre a tenant you may have some liability for damages, but don't pay a bit of it unless a judge orders you to.
This isn't something for YOU to take to court, it is something for you to respond to if it is taken to court. Until then, don't to anything- don't even acknowledge the bill or the landlords attempts to contact you.

You may have sent an letter stating you were going to vacate, but did they acknowledge this? If not, than you can still be held liable for the place. Just because you did this does not mean you can just walk away.

And you ask can roommates stay under the old contract? Yes, nothing has changed, unless LL accepted your letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back